MLO Panel connected to meter base/tap - NO OCP - PASSED INSPECTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxco

I had posted previously because I wanted to install another service at customer home for EV charger and some outdoor circuits.
I left without doing any work because of what I found (not putting my name on any of this).

From previous post:
OK - I went back to install panel and EV charger for customer, who is also a good friend for 30+ years...
The only work I had done at his home in the past was install wiring for electric range. There were two panels in the home, main in the original part and a "sub" in an addition. The addition was apparently wired by the previous homeowner and, in the course of my work, I found that the MLO panel in the addition was connected to the main by "double-tapping" the main lugs on the main panel. I added a 100A breaker and connected the MLO as a sub panel.
When the HVAC was replaced a couple years ago they added a box, after the meter - essentially a tap. The main panel was connected to the lugs, the 100A breaker I had installed for the sub was used for their sub#1 (geo and water heater) and another 100A breaker for sub#2 (geo/water heater #2). The feeder wires for the MLO panel in the addition were then connected directly to the tap - after removing them from the 100A breaker I had previously installed!
There is no overcurrent protection of the wiring between tap and the MLO panel in the addition. So basically, they undid the work I did to correct the same problem. There is about 60ft of wires going through the attic, feeding the MLO panel with no OCP (laying on top of the insulation from what I remember).
Am I missing something here? The inspector signed off on the job at least once (solar was later installed after GEO sys). But the MLO panel wasn't really part of the job so he must not have even looked at it...
I'll add some pic's.
And maybe I should move this continuation of the post to a new post to get more insight as it's no longer just about installing EV charger???

I really think the best thing would be to install a main panel on the outside of the home and make all of the existing panels subs...

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • meter-tap.jpg
    meter-tap.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • mlo with bonded neutral!!!.jpg
    mlo with bonded neutral!!!.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 64
So this appears to have solar too? Where is that connected? If the solar is indeed 15 KW you will probably need to do a line side connection, so keep that in mind with any rework you do. My immediate thought is to put anema 3r panel board to the right of that tap box and rework your subfeeds into that. That existing tap box you can keep as a place to interconnect the solar system.

LadyDi

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Master Electrician, BA Texas Tech University, College Instructor: Electrician Education
I feel like the time is perfect for educating your friend and the inspector. What happens on the next installation if you do not address the violations?

In this case, besides the issues you pointed out, what happens in case of a fault or ground fault because the neutrals and equipment grounding conductors land on the same bar in a subpanel? Is this situation different than installing the green bonding screw in a sub panel?

It's not personal, I believe it's about life and safety issues.

dxco

So this appears to have solar too? Where is that connected? If the solar is indeed 15 KW you will probably need to do a line side connection, so keep that in mind with any rework you do. My immediate thought is to put anema 3r panel board to the right of that tap box and rework your subfeeds into that. That existing tap box you can keep as a place to interconnect the solar system.
My thoughts exactly. A lot of grounds to separate but I believe this is the way to go.
I'm thinking about the cable going through the attic from tap to MLO panel without any protection - Losing sleep over it! Should have been red-tagged by inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.