MLO w/MCB ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

Is there any article that would limit/prevent me from using a 125A 120/240V MLO panel ...BUT insert a 50A CB as the main disconnect (Square D Homeline...does HOM even allow this)?

Unless, of course someone has a source for a 50A MCB 120/240V 12/24 space panel.

This is for a RE closing...if the seller pays for the job, it will be low budget...if the buyer pays, it will be a complete service up grade.

The existing arrangement is meter - 50A FPE MCB - Murray MLO panel. By the time i goto to the trouble of removing the FPE in the middle (all piped together), I might as well replace both the FPE and Murray.

Not my first choice, but I have to have a low budget solution as well as my first choice (upgrade).

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This is allowed per 408.36(F) when the "main" breaker is fastened in place rather than simply plugged on the bus.

celtic

jim dungar said:
This is allowed per 408.36(F) when the "main" breaker is fastened in place rather than simply plugged on the bus.

I "knew" that...but had no clue where to find that reference ...thanks!

I did find documentation from Square D that indicates that HOM can be backfed...using the appropiate kit.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If this is a service entrance, wouldn't that be a violation of the minimum size? Either 230.79(C) or (D)?

Steve

celtic

steve66 said:
If this is a service entrance, wouldn't that be a violation of the minimum size? Either 230.79(C) or (D)?

Steve

It might be...but NJ has the wonderful "Rehab Code" at our disposal :D

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
That makes sense. A new 50A panel isn't going to be any more dangerous than an old 50A FPE panel.

Steve

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think NJ's rehab code is great. Many would (and do) neglect making a structure safe due to having to bring it up to modern day codes if they do the improvement.

If we apply the "meet modern day code rule" to an older vehicle.

Let's say the vehicle needs brakes, but if we fix them we would have to use an after market kit, now, if this isn't allowed unless we bring the whole vehicle into modern day standards including (but not all inclusive) air bags and anti lock brakes I would say we would have more older cars running around and at us at 50, 60, 70, plus miles per hour with faulty brakes.

Roger

celtic

This could turn out to a good job...replace panels under Rehab Code for seller...then replace and upgrade service for the buyer :D .

PowerPipe

celtic said:
Is there any article that would limit/prevent me from using a 125A 120/240V MLO panel ...BUT insert a 50A CB as the main disconnect (Square D Homeline...does HOM even allow this)?

Unless, of course someone has a source for a 50A MCB 120/240V 12/24 space panel.

If you prefer not to have a backfed main, Square D does have a Homeline load center that you can mount a 50A MCB - Any Homeline convertible main type load center for QOM1 main breaker frame sizes. This gets a little more exspensive, since you have to buy a MCB load center and a separate field installable MCB.

HOM1224M125C - 125A 120/240 MCB Panel
QOM50VH - Field installable 50/2 MCB

celtic

Thanks PowerPipe....I'll have to check the pricing as i just gave the REA the prices for the backfeed set-up.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.