Mobile home service and detached garage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wistrick

Hoping some one could answer a question or two for and industrial electrician that needs help wiring up new mobile home service and garage...

So the panel in the house is about 40 ft away from where the meter and service drop will be...and the detached garage is about 10 ft...Can I used a meter main combo and feed the garage from there...Or do I have to go from the panel in the house to the garage...The panel in the house has a 200 amp main breaker but there would be no room for a 200 amp breaker in the combo meter main...

How to I do this....??? thoughts

thanks in advance

Dan

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
1st problem may well be 550.32 which dictates that the mobile home service equipment must be within 30ft of the exterior wall of the mobile home it serves.

What size circuit(s) are you planning for the detached garage ?

Wistrick

Hoping some one could answer a question or two for and industrial electrician that needs help wiring up new mobile home service and garage...

So the panel in the house is about 40 ft away from where the meter and service drop will be...and the detached garage is about 10 ft...Can I used a meter main combo and feed the garage from there...Or do I have to go from the panel in the house to the garage...The panel in the house has a 200 amp main breaker but there would be no room for a 200 amp breaker in the combo meter main...

thanks in advance

Dan

Per Oregon Specialty code I was going to mount the service to the mobile home and sub feed the garage....was gonna do a 60 to 100 amp to garage....

Dan

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
So the panel in the house is about 40 ft away from where the meter and service drop will be...and the detached garage is about 10 ft...Can I used a meter main combo and feed the garage from there...
If you can get a disconnect on a rack or a post 30' or less from the mobile home you can do that. You can feed from the meter to the garage and on to the home if it makes sense to go in that order.
Or do I have to go from the panel in the house to the garage...The panel in the house has a 200 amp main breaker but there would be no room for a 200 amp breaker in the combo meter main...

thanks in advance

Dan
What is the required feed for the mobile home. Just because it has a 200A main does not mean it needs a 200A feed unless the sticker on the home says so.

Wistrick

If you can get a disconnect on a rack or a post 30' or less from the mobile home you can do that. You can feed from the meter to the garage and on to the home if it makes sense to go in that order.
What is the required feed for the mobile home. Just because it has a 200A main does not mean it needs a 200A feed unless the sticker on the home says so.

Oregon Specialty Code States : The feeder size shall bebased on the amperage of the main circuitbreaker inside the manufactured dwelling?smain distribution panel. The amperage mayalso be found on an exterior label located nearthe feeder or on the manufacturer?s data platelocated inside the dwelling.

Panel inside has a 200 amp breaker....

Dan

Smart $

Esteemed Member
1st problem may well be 550.32 which dictates that the mobile home service equipment must be within 30ft of the exterior wall of the mobile home it serves.

Service equipment is permitted to be located elsewhere on the premises (greater than 30' or out of view), but an additional disconnecting means is then required within 30' and within sight....

Per Oregon Specialty code I was going to mount the service to the mobile home and sub feed the garage....was gonna do a 60 to 100 amp to garage....

Dan
550.32(A) prohibits mounting the service equipment (or disconnecting means) on the mobile home.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I do a fair amount of manufactured homes over here. I always stick a metermain right on the outside of the home or on a pole/post right next to the home depending on how they want it. Then I'll take my well pump, A/C, etc circuits out of it.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
So here is what I plan to do....Get a 200amp meter main combo with pass thru lugs...Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-MC0816B1200ESN-Circuit-Additional-Provision/dp/B00J3PJLY4

and feed the mobile home off the feed thru's and add a break to feed the garage....

Dan
That'll work, but possibly a little excessive for two feeders from a 200A service.

I'd go with the MC0816B1200TH or -RTH model (ring vs. ringless, respectively).

http://w3.usa.siemens.com/us/intern...Over_Breaker_Section_ contRPSA-MCSA1-0505.pdf

Ring model goes for $80 at Lowe's, if you can find one in stock.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_144625-1318-MC0816B1200TH_0__?productId=3179649

Otherwise it'll probably cost about twice that...
http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-MC0816B1200TH-Space-Circuit-Combination/dp/B00D3Q8B7M

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I do a fair amount of manufactured homes over here. I always stick a metermain right on the outside of the home or on a pole/post right next to the home depending on how they want it. Then I'll take my well pump, A/C, etc circuits out of it.
Service equipment is permitted on the side of a manufactured home.

Wistrick

Service equipment is permitted to be located elsewhere on the premises (greater than 30' or out of view), but an additional disconnecting means is then required within 30' and within sight....

550.32(A) prohibits mounting the service equipment (or disconnecting means) on the mobile home.

3 mobile homes in my area that have the meter mounted right to the house....Oregon Mobile Home Specialty Codes say you can mount it on a post of on the home itself....I have call the AHJ and he confirmed this to be the case....

Smart $

Esteemed Member
3 mobile homes in my area that have the meter mounted right to the house....Oregon Mobile Home Specialty Codes say you can mount it on a post of on the home itself....I have call the AHJ and he confirmed this to be the case....
Well then, you're good to go...!!! :D

kwired

Electron manager
That'll work, but possibly a little excessive for two feeders from a 200A service.

I'd go with the MC0816B1200TH or -RTH model (ring vs. ringless, respectively).

http://w3.usa.siemens.com/us/intern...Over_Breaker_Section_ contRPSA-MCSA1-0505.pdf

Ring model goes for $80 at Lowe's, if you can find one in stock.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_144625-1318-MC0816B1200TH_0__?productId=3179649

Otherwise it'll probably cost about twice that...
http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-MC0816B1200TH-Space-Circuit-Combination/dp/B00D3Q8B7M
I don't quite get what you are calling excessive, everything mentioned here includes a 200 amp meter, 200 amp main breaker, 8 breaker spaces or 16 tandem breaker spaces, and 200 amp sub feed lugs.

I would likely install a Midwest Electric or a Milbank model - but otherwise essentially all the same features. Feeding separate structures is usually much easier to do from something like this then from the panel in the home, plus if they ever replace the home but not the other structures - all you need to mess with is the new home.

Mobile home service equipment or local disconnect must be within 30 feet of the mobile home - this does not mean it can't be 30 within feet from one corner of the structure and the panel inside be near opposite corner and well over 30 feet from the disconnect.

kwired

Electron manager
Price may be subjective to where you purchase from, we can all find a big variance on many items sometimes even at the same supplier depending on what customer account is used or sometimes even which sales person enters the order.:happyyes:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't see a problem but purely for a matter of discussion, at some point would a load calculation be in order ? We have a mobile home that may well have a plaque "attach to 200 amp service" and we are adding a 100 amp breaker to an outbuilding.
I certainly don't think it would be out of order for the inspector ask for a load calculation.
(In colder climates I have no idea what the heat load is)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
both the 220v furnace and water heater have been switched to gas...where only talking about a 1250 sq ft home.....and a 24 x 24 garage.....

Dan
Not a bona fide calculation, but likely okay with electric furnace and water heater load removed. AHJ requesting a load calculation is still on the table, as it is one of only three Code prescribed methods of determining existing load.

Status
Not open for further replies.