Mobile vs Manufactured

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Help! I hate when I've been doing something for 30 years and now can't prove it by Code.
In reviewing 550, I can't see a nickle's worth of difference in the definition of a mobile home and a manufactured home except size. (Mobiles don;t have a permanent foundation but mfg. can be "with or without" a permanent foundation). Mobiles require external service disconnecting means, Mfg. homes do not (with conditions). Admittedly, I have never seen the "instructions" mentioned in 530-32(B), but assuming (I know) they exist...when one of the Tennessee specials,32x 60, is set up, footers poured, pillars set and the structure anchored, is an outside service disconnect required? I know the answer is in the details....but input greatly welcomed.

raider1

Staff member
Re: Mobile vs Manufactured

I believe that a true mobile home hasn't been made since the 1970's. The 2003 IRC definitions of a manufactured home says...

"a Manufactured home is a structure, transportable in one or more sections, which in traveling mode is 8 body feet or more in width or 40 body feet or more in length, or, when erected on site, is 320 square feet or more, and which is built on a permanent foundation when connected to the required utilities, and includes the plumbing, heating, A/C and electrical systems contained therein."

Chris.

benaround

augie47,

As you noted,550.32(b),states service equipment shall be permited IN or ON a MH. As long as all 7 conditions are met.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by augie47: I hate when I've been doing something for 30 years and now can't prove it by Code.
That sort of thing happens to engineers also. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.