Modular funiture placed in front of duplex outlets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesm

There is an ongoing debate about designing modular walls (herman miller) against dry walls in a way that will cover existing duplex outlets.

Allowed or not allowed in an office building, that is the question.

Are there particular NEC or other codes that touch on this?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Modular funiture placed in front of duplex outlets?

I would say these units can cover outlets.

The wiring method of the outlets only has to be accessible.

Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.
IMO these partitions are not part of the building structure or finish.

Even the NEC calls these Office Furnishings

ARTICLE 605 Office Furnishings (Consisting of Lighting Accessories and Wired Partitions)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Is that any different from my placing a heavy china cabinet against a Dining Room wall, and covering one or outlets? That thing will not be moved until we move.

jonesm

Iwire ? Thanks for the response, but I couldn?t find where ?The wiring method of the outlets only has to be accessible? came from. Could you elaborate?

Charlie b ? Your china cabinet question is definitely along the same vein (I?m wondering about Herman Miller type walls, file cabinets, furniture, etc) in front of electrical outlets found in businesses - but there may be a difference between office building and residential requirements?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jonesm:
Iwire ? Thanks for the response, but I couldn?t find where ?The wiring method of the outlets only has to be accessible? came from. Could you elaborate?
Sure, it comes from here

314.29 Boxes and Conduit Bodies to Be Accessible.
Boxes and conduit bodies shall be installed so that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish the finished grade.

Exception: Listed boxes shall be permitted where covered by gravel, light aggregate, or noncohesive granulated soil if their location is effectively identified and accessible for excavation.
Keeping in mind that the NEC is a permissive code and that I am unaware of any further restrictions on the receptacles themselves that above section is it.

We could cloud the issue by bringing in 110.26 work space requirements but that is a large can of worms.

Interestingly wall switches may be more of an issue, switches must be "Readily Accessible. (404.8(A))

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.