Modular Furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Foelber

Afternoon Gentleman
I have a design build project in which I have multiple modular furniture unit of different sizes and qtys. Is anyone aware of what governs the load calc requirements for furnitures.
Thank You
Dustin-H.I.C. Electric

lakee911

I think that load is what governs the calcs, no? :grin:

Office environment, I presume. Per circuit, I'd plan on a space heater, PC, small lamp kind of loads for every cube. I'm sure there is some sort of demand though for a panel. Someone will chime in.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As far as I know, the basic rules in 220.12 apply.
(You might want to check Art 605 for other requiremetns)

cadpoint

This is truely a case where you need the cut sheets for the furniture.

If an interior designer is involved even more so... :)

Don't be surprised that there might be up to five pairs of conductors in a manufactured wipe.

malachi constant

When I design an electrical system with vaguely-defined pre-wired powered workstations I assume 2-3 workstations per circuit. (Two/cct if I have the capacity three/cct if the panel is getting tight.)

I generally treat each workstation like I would a small office - assume four or five receptacles at 180VA each.

The furniture manufacturer usually gives me a call when they are putting their shop drawings together to see where the connection is being supplied, and how many circuits there are at each point.

I can't say what exactly is the "code-correct" way to approach it, but this practical approach works out. You're probably supposed to count up duplexes and assume 180VA for each one. But you're never going to know that until the furniture shows up, and you usually want to have a quote figured out well before then (not to mention have the power wiring already installed).

Hope that helps!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In this area, when installing office wiring, whether it be modular or not, if you don't pre-plan for the gals using some type of personal heater you will
probably have a "situation":)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Per circuit, I'd plan on a space heater, ...
In my opinion, it's unfair to ask a wired partition system to be sized for a space heater in every corrall.

They should be banned. If everyone needs a heater, it's gotta cost the customer less to turn the heat up.

mtfallsmikey

In my opinion, it's unfair to ask a wired partition system to be sized for a space heater in every corrall.

They should be banned. If everyone needs a heater, it's gotta cost the customer less to turn the heat up.

Yessiree Bob!....In the office envionments I have worked in, they are/were banned, except in one case a lady brought in a space heater because her doc wrote a note that she required one for medical reasons. If someone's cold, I wll adjust things on the HVAC side to keep them comfy. On the flip side, in some environments, there may be multiple PC's, monitors, even a blade server in a cube too.

iwire

Staff member

I agree 100%.

No doubt.

On a very cold night I got a service call to a BestBuy that had a number of registers with no power ......... sure enough when one shut down the worker moved to the next one and brought their space heater with them to the next. No one there could understand why the space heater had anything to do with the circuits shutting down. :roll:

Easy money for me, just reset 3 or 4 breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.