Modular homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I got into an argument with someone about this issue: Does a modular home have to meet the code of the state it will ultimately be "installed" in, or does it have to meet the HUD standard (1993 NEC??)

I was adamant that it was not required to meet the state code. But then again, I've been wrong before, and will be wrong again.

iwire

Staff member
Pete as far as I knew that was the whole point of the HUD listing.

The home as it arrives is basically un-inspectable so it's design has already been looked at and approved.

peter d

That's what I thought. The argument that was given to me is that certain states require smoke detectors in every bedroom so they have to meet that code. I said "No they don't." Argument ensued.

JohnJ0906

peter d said:
That's what I thought. The argument that was given to me is that certain states require smoke detectors in every bedroom so they have to meet that code. I said "No they don't." Argument ensued.

I haven't done one recently, but the ones I did all came with smokes in every bedroom - even before that was required here.

bobbyho

I did some work in a modular daycare. Emergency lights needed to be tied into the lighting circuit for the particular room. When I took the emergency light off the wall I found an open splice. No box anywhere. Wonder how many more things like that are in the building.

kbsparky

Most HUD certified homes are considered to be "manufactured" homes, and have a HUD certification plate affixed on the exterior of each section.

"Modular" homes do not have such distinction, and as such have to comply with all local building codes the same as any other structure built on site.

The difference between a manufactured home and a modular is the manufactured home is built on a chassis, and it can be set in place with or without a permanent foundation.

Modular homes require permenent foundations and any chassis used are for transport only, and do not remain on site once the house is set in place.

As far as I know, HUD does not certify homes without the permanent steel chassis.

iwire

Staff member
kbsparky said:
"Modular" homes do not have such distinction, and as such have to comply with all local building codes the same as any other structure built on site.

Interesting.

How does a local inspector go about inspecting a closed in / finished dwelling unit for NEC / local compliance?

cschmid

In Mn modular homes are inspected at the manufactures site. They meet MN standards for building, electrical and plumbing codes. Energy star certified homes are the normal standard for modular homes in MN. The contractors on site must have their work inspected when it is done.

Manufactured homes are a different story, and I do not know why they meet different electrical code.

So I guess the answer is no modular homes meet inspection of the state they are built in. Since they are inspected here in MN to MN standards

Last edited:

peter d

The only modular home I ever worked in had small orange sticker at every switch and receptacle plate to indicate that it had been inspected at the factory and had passed. Beyond that I have no idea how any type of code compliance can be checked.

kbsparky

iwire said:
...How does a local inspector go about inspecting a closed in / finished dwelling unit for NEC / local compliance?

Some type of in-plant inspections are performed while under construction. In Maryland for example, there are several independent companies that perform this service.

Once on site, the local inspectors certify that the service and sub-feed to the inside panel is installed correctly, the site work has been done properly, and then on the final, they check things like GFI and AFI circuits, smoke detectors, fixtures, proper grounding of receptacles, etc.

dab

the only rule i ran into was the local poco not hooking up because the kitchen window which looks into a living space was within 3 ft of the meter. it seems the factory workers put the meter/main in the wrong stud bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.