Module brands to avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

five.five-six

So, I’m doing my first system design. I’m leaning toward SolarEdge for inverter and optimizers but now I’m looking at modules and wow, there are a lot of them. Researching each module is time consuming to find a good fit and value. I’d really like to know of some manufactures to just skip over and save time.

TIA

pv_n00b

Just avoid the no name cheap modules, the name brand modules are all pretty good and have good support from the manufacturers. When I hear of someone having problems with modules it's because they got a "good deal" on some no name garbage modules from a manufacturer who was gone the next day. I remember a guy who got a whole 40' shipping container of modules from China that ended up being worthless, but it was a good deal that he could not pass up. I think he ended up making tables out of them.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Just avoid the no name cheap modules, the name brand modules are all pretty good and have good support from the manufacturers. When I hear of someone having problems with modules it's because they got a "good deal" on some no name garbage modules from a manufacturer who was gone the next day. I remember a guy who got a whole 40' shipping container of modules from China that ended up being worthless, but it was a good deal that he could not pass up. I think he ended up making tables out of them.

One thing to watch for is the lack of the UL listing logo.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
It's cheaper to just put a big >CE< on the side of the module and be done with it.

BandGap1.1eV

It would be very difficult to list manufacturers to avoid. New names/manufacturers pop up on a monthly basis. In general look for the UL mark on their data sheet, modules with MC4 or amphenol branded connectors are preferred (rather than MC4 equivalent), minimum 10 year product/25 power warranty, mono-crystalline preferred.

Check the install manuals to be sure the wind/snow loads work for your area and the desired mounting configuration/orientation is permissible.

Status
Not open for further replies.