Module discoloration

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
It is hard to tell from the photo but I don't recall seeing a similar color/pattern like that. Looks blue from the photo. Did you try reaching it with a wet broom to see if it is just surface discoloration?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
How's the power output from the array? Can you check the individual panels??
Any possibility there's water or condensation getting under the glass?

How's the power output from the array? Can you check the individual panels??
Any possibility there's water or condensation getting under the glass?
The system has string inverters so no module level monitoring. It would be super easy to just short the leads of a discolored and a non discolored one and clamp it and compare the values :unsure: Overall output seems to be fine.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Any loss of power output? Looks typical of separation of glass surface from the substrate below, potentially allowing air or liquid into the space. Seen that type of de-lam on other stuff but might be first for PV.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
It could also be a light refraction effect that has no impact on module production.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It could also be a light refraction effect that has no impact on module production.
I suppose it's possible, but the irregular shape and sharp boundaries suggest something physical is going on. I vote for delamination and water intrusion.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I suppose it's possible, but the irregular shape and sharp boundaries suggest something physical is going on. I vote for delamination and water intrusion.
It may not be a problem. Glass is somewhat permeable to O2 and Si forms a thin SiO2 layer when exposed to O2. That could have refractive index effects (like oil sheen on water) that would not affect production. Can you see me waving my hands around? :D

Are you sure it isn't mineral hardness on the surface of the glass? Wipe an area down with vinegar and see if it can dissolve it.
I have seen similar looking modules when a customer tried to wash their modules with soap and did a poor job of fully rinsing them off.
It is definitely under the glass.

The back sheet appears to be perfect and undamaged. I agree it looks like some sort of oxidation or corrosion, but they're absolutely no signs of a sealing failure.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I was wondering if the circular spot was related to a suction cup being used at some point. Maybe during manufacturing or maybe later.