moisture free smoke detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

tejano

Is there such a thing as this.I have a parking garage that has smoke dect. they are always going into alarm in wet weather days ie fog day, cold day when they sweat they are install on concret.any help would be great.
thank you
roger villegas

Security101

Sounds like you have a real moisture issue, and I don't think theres a inexpensive option in the photoelectric smoke line. I'm thinking heat detection may be your only option. Also video detection may help, but it's way up there in cost currently.

Is this a life safety issue or just a property loss issue? What's the rest of the building used for? Offices? Dwellings? Does your AHJ or code require "smoke" detection in that building?

Jim

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You might look a "beam detector". It has a transmitter and a receiver and shoots a beam between them. When there is enough smoke the alarm goes off. This would not be as sensitive to moisture as a standard smoke detector.

tejano

smoke detector

smoke detector

Jim,
Mostly property loss they are install in the elevator landing of the parking garage.They recall the elevator when they go into alarm.the rest of the buliding is a credit union bank.It is a code requirement.
Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A beam smoke could be affected by fog though...

Jim
Yes, it sure could, but I am not sure that they are really getting fog in the garage. I think that the dampness and condensation within the existing detectors that comes with foggy damp days is the issue, but I could be wrong and if there is significant fog within the structure the beam detector would see that as smoke.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Is there such a thing as this.I have a parking garage that has smoke dect. they are always going into alarm in wet weather days ie fog day, cold day when they sweat they are install on concret.any help would be great.
thank you
roger villegas
Is there any practical way to add a little heat? If you can get them above the dew point, you will not have condensation. In electronics, it used to be common to use a PTC device to keep crystals (frequency determining devices) at a stable temperature.

nhfire77

All smokes have to be maintained between 32 to 100 F. UL requirement.

Relative humidity is also regulated, I cannot remember the exact number on that, maybe 90% RH non-condensing.

If you are outside that temp and its an open structure.....ain't gonna work.

I have never seen a smoke in a parking garage.

I have seen a Weather/Moisture Proof heat. See http://www.fenwalcontrols.com/utcfs/ws-375/.../DS_Chemetronics.pdf

Where in the garage is it anyway?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.