Molded case circuit breaker trips when motor shut off ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

I can't verify this as I was out on vacation last week . We have a test stand that has 2 ( 75 hp ) driven pumps on it . This is across the line starters . The operators claim that when they shut the pumps off ( yes they claim when they shut them off ) that the 400 amp molded case circuit breaker " SQ D LA36400" that feeds the busway that feeds the stand tripped . The trip settings are at mid range .They say this happened 3 times last week . My boss has ordered a replacement breaker but I have doubts that the breaker is the problem . Any thoughts on this ...

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What are they doing to shut them off? In other words, any chance that the control circuit can "bounce" and give them a very rapid Off-On-Off kind of sequence? That might do it, because if too fast, the motor is still in re-gen when reconnected briefly, which would cause a massive current spike.

I would THOROUGHLY check out the entire operation before just assuming you have a bad breaker.

Davebones

The best I can get out of them is they say they stopped the # 1 boost pump,then the #1 main pump . Then they stopped the # 2 boost pump , then the #2 main pump . They say they then tryed to start a few hours later and found the breaker feeding the bus tripped . They claimed that this happened at least 3 times ....

erickench

The only thing I could think of is this: When the power is removed the motor keeps spinning for a little while until it comes to a full stop. But during this time the motor acts like a generator and therefore generates power. This could be tripping the breaker. How are you turning the motor off? Is the motor completely disconnected from the circuit breaker in the turn-off process?

Status
Not open for further replies.