Momentary / low volt lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Rater

Will likely be looking at a type of lighting I have no knowledge of. Cust. described momentary rocker switches w/ relays and tranfomers at the fixtures. I'd like to get some info before I make the service call. Sounds intriguing.Anyone know anything about this?

physis

Re: Momentary / low volt lighting

I haven't heard of it. That doesn't mean much though. I'd find out who manufactures it and go from there. I'f I knew who made it I'd have a fair chance of finding something on line.

physis

Well, good luck with that. Just bring your troubleshooting skills a meter and a spool of 18 ga. wire and you should be fine. :cool:

iwire

Staff member

It sounds like a very commonly installed system, the name of which escapes me at this time.

GE still makes the parts.

The relays are mechanically latching and have three small leads on them for the control voltage.

Common, open, close and just need a momentary 24 VAC signal to operate them.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by physis:
Mr. Badger. Welcome back from whence you've been. :D
Thanks, and what a long strange trips it's been.

I kept having visions of 1,200 amp services in 1000 sq ft homes for SA circuits.
;)

physis

Somehow the Ki-bosh has been put on that before I ever got up enough gumption to bother looking up my opinion. :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by physis:
Somehow the Ki-bosh has been put on that before I ever got up enough gumption to bother looking up my opinion. :D
Worked out well for you then.
:D

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Touch-Plate systems have been around for quite a while and are very common in home built in the 60?s. The system is very similar to the GE equipment Bob is referring to.
http://www.touchplate.com

mdshunk

There must have been an EC installing the low voltage switching in my area back in the day. Both GE and P&S still make the switches and relays. The switches are available in despard style and regular snap switch style. The snap switch style looks funny because the switch toggle sticks straight out. Lithonia makes special panels to mount the relays in and they make master and slave control modules for the low voltage switching. Basically, the switches have three terminals... common which makes with terminal 2 in the "up" position or terminal 2 in the "down" position. The relays have three terminals also, since they latch. One wire goes to one lead of the 24 volt transformer. The other two leads correspong with "on" (terminal 2) and "off" (terminal 3) on the switch(es). The switches are WIRED IN PARALLEL. Throw everything you know about 3 ways and 4 ways and such out the window with this type of system. Some of these systems also have a small rectifier to run the relays on DC for greater reliability (same relay).

Status
Not open for further replies.