monorail

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeyrench

i plan on installing a monorail on a cement ceiling , my problem is connecting from transformer to monorail. if i in install a remote trans at the switched recept. i plan on using and run my low voltage wiring inside the sheet rock wall to the ceiling then my wires become exposed. i never installed this type of lighting can i put my low voltage wires inside of sheet rock ? this is a high rise building and the work will be inspected any tips ? thanks for the help

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What kind of wire are you using.
If the wire is behind the sheetrock it must be of the wiring methods in Chapter three.
I used nm cable in a residence but have also used flex cable with number 10 wire in it.
You must be very careful of voltage drop with low voltage.

mickeyrench

monorail

i 'm not sure what type of wiring yet i 'm still reseaching . it 's for 1 96" monorail with 4 mr16 50 watt bulbs, it's in a high rise building and i don't know if i can use nm type cable . as you see i'm new to low voltage wiring.
any tips are welcome.

mickeyrench

monorail

we will use the switched outlet for the monorail, so i would think we will get our 120 volt from that outlet and mount trans at that location. so the distance would be about 12' from trans. to rail.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You should be good with a piece of #12 mc cable. Where you come out of the wall you can switch to conduit to make it look better. You can put a JB in the wall and 90 out to the ceiling .

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mickeyrench said:
it 's for 1 96" monorail with 4 mr16 50 watt bulbs,
4 x 50 = 200w. 200/12 = 16.67a. #12 would be adequate for the distance, #10 would be better.

If you want to be really sure, talk to your inspector. They usually like being asked for their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.