monthly bill controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireperson

is there such a thing that can tell you much so far your monthly electrical bill is at any time? by showing it on a screen or something?
or a way to know your bill so far without going to the meter and doing the calculation?

hurk27

The only one I heard of is the energy detective TED-5000, but one of the problems will be the sur-charges that change from time to time, such as delivery fee's and others depending upon how your utility charges and make up the billing, as tax's and a few other items will all have to be calculated in and it gets complicated, I have heard a few utilities have on their on-line web site a place to punch in your meter reading and will calculate your billing from the last meter reading with all the other charges included, but I have never done this, there are some plug in devices that give you a rough estimate but most of these are just for single loads and just plug in with the appliance plugging in to it.

Also many utilities charge for going over a certain amount like mine is one rate up to 750kwh's and a higher rate over that, so what ever device you use would have to be programmable to include all these different charges.

hurk27

after going to their site I see they change the system of how it works????

it used to have a pick up that monitored the revolution of the meter or the pulses from the LED's on a digital meter, now they have gone to using CT's and PT's??? wonder why the change?

gar

Occupation
EE
120129-0841 EST

wireperson:

Why do you care?

What I am really saying is --- what do you really want to know, and why? Are you trying reach some specific value by the end of the month? Or is your real goal how to reduce your bill? Or reduce your kWh consumption which maybe an entirely different question than reducing your bill?

Go to my site http://beta-a2.com/Energy-book-2.html to see some plots of power or energy usage. The plots start about 1/4 into the page. This does not answer your question but it shows some of my typical variability, and the kind of data that you can obtain from a TED 1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.