MOPAR/Chrysler EV Charger

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
All,

Does anyone have experience with these? I've been asked to install one and can find NO INSTRUCTIONS on the Web. It's a plug in model that says it uses a 14-50 plug, but no details on breaker size or current draw. I don't have the unit in hand yet, but trying to get the wire and CB ahead of time.

Thanks,

Mark

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Most chargers with 14-50 plugs have a maximum charge rate of 32 amps so will work on a 40 or 50 amp circuit. A few of them have a 40 amp charge rate and require a 50 amp circuit.

I would run 50 amp wire and install a 50 amp breaker. The difference in cost between 40 and 50 amp wire is minimal. 40 and 50 amp breakers are the same price.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Most chargers with 14-50 plugs have a maximum charge rate of 32 amps so will work on a 40 or 50 amp circuit. A few of them have a 40 amp charge rate and require a 50 amp circuit.

I would run 50 amp wire and install a 50 amp breaker. The difference in cost between 40 and 50 amp wire is minimal. 40 and 50 amp breakers are the same price.
Got it. Thanks. They want a GFCI on the receptacle and 50A Homeline are easy to find. I had recommended cord-and-plug unit since it will be in the garage so that if they change brands in the future, they can change the charger without an electrician.

Mark

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I had a couple minutes so decided to do a quick search. Mopar is selling JuiceBox chargers with either a Chrysler or Jeep logo on the front.

Edited to add.....
The charger is not car brand specific. They can charge any car they want with that charger. The connection is the same except for Tesla which uses their own connector but you can get adapters for them.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I had recommended cord-and-plug unit since it will be in the garage so that if they change brands in the future, they can change the charger without an electrician.

Mark
Cut your own throat why don't you. Also adding to the cost by the GFCI requirement.