More 230.85 Help!!

paulbses

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi all. I am trying to make heads or tails of the 2023 requirements for service disconnects. I have been out of the industry for several years and need some clarification. I see this topic has been discussed a lot here, but my searches have not found what I am really looking for.

I need to repair/replace a pole mounted service that was blown over in hurricane Milton. Can I still use basically the same setup shown in this picture? The 100 amp disconnect on the left is for a mobile home. Can I use something like the QO2100 to satisfy current emergency disconnect requirements? The existing load center on the right just feeds some landscape lighting and a lighted sign and is metered separately. Can I simply use a small 100 amp MBO load center like this one or do I need a separate enclosure for just an emergancy disconnect? The way the code reads, to me, the MBO load center is no longer sufficient. The QO2100 may be but I'm leaning towards no on that one as well which frankly seems crazy to me. Any help at all here would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I just realized, as the load center does not supply power to a dwelling unit, I am not required to have any form of disconnect at all. Correct?? If this is the case, I will probably save the customer a couple dollars and reuse this one as there is nothing wrong with it and they are trying to keep costs down as much as possible.

Thank you!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The loadcenter on the right, being a MLO, would not meet the present requirements of 230.62 but, if undisturbed, would likely be "grandfathered".
A service rated 100 amp enclosed circuit breaker or a service rated 100 MB loadcenter labeled "Service disconnected-emergceny disconnect" with the required line side insulators should suffice as the mobile home disconnect.

paulbses

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The loadcenter on the right, being a MLO, would not meet the present requirements of 230.62 but, if undisturbed, would likely be "grandfathered".
A service rated 100 amp enclosed circuit breaker or a service rated 100 MB loadcenter labeled "Service disconnected-emergceny disconnect" with the required line side insulators should suffice as the mobile home disconnect.
Thank you for the input. Does this qualify as a line side insulator? If so, could it be used on a "backfed" breaker in an MLO load center to meet these requirements? Nothing here will be undisturbed, even if we reuse the load center, as we need to install a new pole and meter can and also replace a section of the conduits coming from the bottom of this equipment.

paulbses

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Also, am I incorrect that because the load center on the right serves only a couple landlord circuits and is not for a dwelling unit that it does not need a service disconnect? Being that it is mounted directly below the meter.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The loadcenter on the right would not need a singular main if it was installed before that requirement was adopted by your jurisdiction,
The line side insulator you pictured appears to be designed exactly for the purpose of allowing a "branch breaker" to be used as the service disconnect.