More Ground Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I seem to be running into and endless string of jobs that require ground rods to be installed. Currently I rent a 60lb demo hammer with a ground rod bit. I don't mind charging the customer for the rental but getting tired of picking it up and dropping it off. What are you guys using to drive your ground rods. No, I do not want to sue a sledge. Looking for a good quality power tool to add to my collection that would be useful for ground rods and hopefully more.

laketime

What size is that? Model # maybe? Just want to make sure I get one that has the beef to drive a ground rod.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Model 11240. SDS 1 9/16"

r00997v6.jpg

saratoga1

I bought a brand new Dewalt on e-bay along with the ground rod attachment, I think mine weighs about 12 lbs. It works great, only once I had to help it through rock? with a sledge, mine is an SDS also.

walkerj

Well, I use water and my hands.
I have never used any type of tool except maybe my Estwing for the last couple of inches.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.:grin:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I bought a DeWalt driver from a former boss. Never seen a rod yet it wouldn't drive. Sucker weighs about 75 pounds. Haven't exactly timed it, but I think about 3 minutes has been longest it took. Does many in about a minute. And I am in an area with lots of red clay & rock of all sorts. I think these go for about $1,000 new.

kwired

Electron manager
Spline drive rotary hammer with ground rod driving bit.

Slipped a few years ago driving a ground rod with post driver missed the rod with the driver and had the rod pierce right through my hand. Rotary hammer is cheap compared to hospital bill and lost time. Sad part is I already had the rotary hammer just not the ground rod bit. Bought one right away only around $50 vs $2500+ hospital bill, and I was lucky, no damage to critical things in my hand - missed all bones, ligaments, etc. could have easily been much worse.

POCO has driver that is driven by hydraulics on their digger trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.