more questions about that interior swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
this is a follow up to my earlier post about an interior change on a 40 space 200A westinghouse panel.

i went to the supply house that sells CH. They had never heard of the retrofit kit, so they called the CH rep and he gave them the page number for the product.

we found it in the catalog, and the price they gave me was $1200 for the 40 space panelboard, 200A main, and cover. Does that sound right?

Other than listings I suppose, what would be the harm in taking the panelboard out of a 40 space BR line loadcenter and putting that in this old westinghouse? They look identical, and this option would cost $130.

MarkyMarkNC

I didn't read the other thread, but if this is the same panel I'm thinking of, Lowe's or Home Depot should have that CH retro-fit kit for about a tenth of your supply house's price.

$1200.00 sounds like book price plus 40% mark-up!!!

Buck Parrish

this is a follow up to my earlier post about an interior change on a 40 space 200A westinghouse panel.

i went to the supply house that sells CH. They had never heard of the retrofit kit, so they called the CH rep and he gave them the page number for the product.

we found it in the catalog, and the price they gave me was $1200 for the 40 space panelboard, 200A main, and cover. Does that sound right?

Other than listings I suppose, what would be the harm in taking the panelboard out of a 40 space BR line loadcenter and putting that in this old westinghouse? They look identical, and this option would cost $130.

$1200 would be way to much.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I didn't read the other thread, but if this is the same panel I'm thinking of, Lowe's or Home Depot should have that CH retro-fit kit for about a tenth of your supply house's price.

$1200.00 sounds like book price plus 40% mark-up!!!

are you talking about that "apartment/remodel" loadcenter they sell?

i haven't seen just a panelboard for sale @ either of those places, but i will go double check.

i'm looking for just the panelboard and a cover to match it.

Either way, $1200 sounds insanely high.

MarkyMarkNC

are you talking about that "apartment/remodel" loadcenter they sell?

i haven't seen just a panelboard for sale @ either of those places, but i will go double check.

i'm looking for just the panelboard and a cover to match it.

Either way, $1200 sounds insanely high.

Actually, just went back to Lowe's this morning and it was the 200A renovation panel they had there - not the retro-fit panel.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Insanely high!!

i went ahead and quoted the owner at just under $1100 to do the interior change; i'm just taking a BR 40 space loadcenter and pulling the guts.

$1200 for that panelboard was just outta sight. the spanking new BR loadcenter was 10% the cost.

220/221

Other than listings I suppose, what would be the harm in taking the panelboard out of a 40 space BR line loadcenter and putting that in this old westinghouse?

No harm, no foul.

I have done it too many times to recall. Measure accurately to mount the bus component and you will be good. You will probably have to drill some new panel cover holes.

satcom

No harm, no foul.

I have done it too many times to recall. Measure accurately to mount the bus component and you will be good. You will probably have to drill some new panel cover holes.

Big time harm, the listing is gone, that is what the insurance underwriters inforce, whenever there is a loss, if you call no harm, him putting up a home or business at risk which may be worth thousands

satcom

This thread brings up an intresting issue, we all look at the NEC, and the AHJ, and even consider building and fire codes, but how many of us look at the most important issue, the insurance underwriters view on were all the codes and standards followed, has the insurer assumed more liability?

220/221

...how many of us look at the most important issue, the insurance underwriters view...

I don't view this as the most important issue. I view a safe installation as the most important issue. You can spend a whole lot of time trying to CYA if you want but it seems unproductive to me.

It's a metal box with a few screws holding the components in place.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
satcom,

do you really think there is an issue here being CH BR parts are listed for Westinghouse?

If i were putting a homeline panelboard in the westinghouse can, i would agree with you.

you don't think the listing would hold though since they are approved to be used with each other?

satcom

satcom,

do you really think there is an issue here being CH BR parts are listed for Westinghouse?

If i were putting a homeline panelboard in the westinghouse can, i would agree with you.

you don't think the listing would hold though since they are approved to be used with each other?

It has to be an approved assy, not just the same brand of manufacture, if it is then all is well, as far as the underwriters being to most important, they are the entire reason we have codes.

The reason for codes is the one most misunderstood fact. the insurances companies lobby for every code, they rate everything from your home to every cities ability to provice fire protection, and this helps them establish insurance rates, for everything.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
It has to be an approved assy, not just the same brand of manufacture, if it is then all is well, as far as the underwriters being to most important, they are the entire reason we have codes.

The reason for codes is the one most misunderstood fact. the insurances companies lobby for every code, they rate everything from your home to every cities ability to provice fire protection, and this helps them establish insurance rates, for everything.

so i guess "approved assembly" would be the key word there.

i called eaton and spoke to 5 different people in various tech support offices around the country. none of them could say if it would violate any listing, and couldn't offer any advice past that other than getting the CH type retrofit panelboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.