More than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

:mad:
What do you do when you go to a customer's house, and you find that the work is more extensive then expected and explained. Also, you find that you are going behind someone else? They explain it as if it is a simple fix then it is everything but. What do you do from a cost stand point? It is not per hour, but, per the job.

480sparky

Are you looking at the job in order to give a price, or have you already priced the job and found something unexpected?

Mule

I may speaking out of turn here, as you didnt say what the unexpected work was, but we always tell the customer that we will only bid what what we can see. Attics and crawl spaces are subject to additional hourly rates,.. period. For us, most all of our clients accept that, as they dont want to crawl.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What do you do when you go to a customer's house, and you find that the work is more extensive then expected and explained. Also, you find that you are going behind someone else? They explain it as if it is a simple fix then it is everything but. What do you do from a cost stand point? It is not per hour, but, per the job.
If I am called on the phone and the customer tells me it is simple and easy and can usually bet it is more than that.

For instance, Got a call today and the customer asked what it would cost for me to go there and fasten the meter base back to the siding. I said if that all it is and no siding needs replacing then it would be a service call. If there was more to it, then here is my rate.

Benton

Additional rates it is. They should understand because they watched me do 90% of it. How do you guy deal with the customer that can't stop following you?

growler

If I am called on the phone and the customer tells me it is simple and easy and can usually bet it is more than that.

I never hear about anything but simple and easy jobs when the customer is talking over the phone.

The best one that I can remember is when a commercial customer calls and tells me they had a small fire. I get there and half the building was gone. They actually thought is was possible to get the power turned back on.

They were in food products and so I told them we could get a temp. pole but the health department would make them close or move the business.
The building was condemned and I didn't even need to see a report to know that.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What do you do when you go to a customer's house, and you find that the work is more extensive then expected and explained.
First, I remind them about my explanation when we spoke on the phone that anything I estimate over the phone is an educated guess. You do that, don't you?

Then, as I also explained, any trouble-shooting is always hourly, and once I find the problem, I give a total price, unless I easily fixed it when I found it, which is often.

If they decide to not have me fix it, I just get paid for the troubleshooting time, which is $150 for the 1st hour, $100 each additional; also agreed to on the phone.

hurk27

I threw a price out there, just a ball park figure, but that was before I got deep into it.

First never give a price other then your hourly rate over the phone.
Never give a price until you have throughly looked at the job.
Learn to be assertive when dealing with customers, if you show signs of being passive they will take advantage of you, if your aggressive they will show you the door.

I get these all the time, and its a common ploy to try to down play the problems but remember with out doing the trouble shooting you will never know how extensive the job will take, and you could be short changing your self or the customer, be open and truthful as to why you cant price a job like this over the phone and stick to it, I find when your open and honest the customer is more likely to use you again, if you skills are not up to par then give the customer a break when you find something you felt it should have taken less time if you were more experienced, but at the same time don't short change yourself, always be fair, as it will always get more future work if they ever need it. just remember don't be a pushover and let them talk you down, If we learn to treat our customers like we would want to be treated,we would have more happy customers, the feeling is so great when you have a very satisfied customer, and they go out of their way to show you their appreciation, When I worked for my old company, it was a thrill when I would walk into the shop and see all the cards my customers sent to my boss, taped up on the wall, once you have experience this you will always have a good customer PR, But it all starts with being assertive open and honest, you can't be honest if you price jobs without looking at them first!
And always put in the paper work exactly what work your price includes and what it doesn't and that if there is unseen problems that have to be fixed then it will be at a time and material bases, unless you are comfortable to give a price, but only if so.

Last edited:

hurk27

Additional rates it is. They should understand because they watched me do 90% of it. How do you guy deal with the customer that can't stop following you?

Trust is a hard thing to earn, and not many do give their trust to repair men, so earn their trust by explaining what your doing and why, but also let them know that you don't want to add time to the bill explaining too much, many will back off, but keep in mind it is you that has to earn this trust, so be open and honest and eventuly they will leave you alone. this is somthing we deal with when we do service type of work.

hurk27

I hate it......and Im not rude enough to deal with it.

Being rude is not the answer, being assertive is, try going to a library and look up some good books on assertiveness training, it will make you and your business much better to deal with and customers will respect you when you tell them this is what needs to be done, and for how much. I would suggest this to anyone who has a one on one with customers, or even if you don't as life can be much better when you learn how to be assertive.

Being assertive is simply being able to assert your wishes or rights, without offending their wishes or rights. ends in happy customers, and you make an honest pay, with referrals
Being passive you give in and loose your wishes or rights and they get their wishes. you might have a customer for life but you never make any money off them
being aggressive, you get your wishes, and the customer looses their wishes or rights. they will never be your customer again

Last edited:

Mule

Being rude is not the answer, being assertive is, try going to a library and look up some good books on assertiveness training, it will make you and your business much better to deal with and customers will respect you when you tell them this is what needs to be done, and for how much. I would suggest this to anyone who has a one on one with customers, or even if you don't as life can be much better when you learn how to be assertive.

Being assertive is simply being able to assert your wishes or rights, without offending their wishes or rights. ends in happy customers, and you make an honest pay, with referrals
Being passive you give in and loose your wishes or rights and they get their wishes. you might have a customer for life but you never make any money off them
being aggressive, you get your wishes, and the customer looses their wishes or rights. they will never be your customer again

Too busy with work to go to school or the library ......:) I'm never rude, who said I was passive? I just said I wasnt rude......I have no problems with my customers, they are golden, many are close friends. Is that assertive enough for you....:D

satcom

In some states if the project price is over $500 by law you would have to quote a total price for the project, so guess work will not cut it, sharpen up your estimating skills, so you can bid every job for profit, when your in business, you learn fast, how dealing with the public can be a real trip.

rodneee

serial guessers live among us

serial guessers live among us

so guess work will not cut it, sharpen up your estimating skills,

i am forced to see it in another light, as a fair amount of our work is after market work in houses that we have previously wired...i see being able to be an accurate guesser is very important...otherwise you have to send somebody out to look at each and every job,make up a quote,multiple phone calls etc....we would lose more money in the bid process than we could lose by making a bad guess...the homeowner tells us what they want...they get a quote over the phone...we show up, review the scope of work with the customer on site and do the job....our men can tell if there is unforseen problems at which point they work it out with the customer most time bringing home more money...

Mule

In some states if the project price is over $500 by law you would have to quote a total price for the project, so guess work will not cut it, sharpen up your estimating skills, so you can bid every job for profit, when your in business, you learn fast, how dealing with the public can be a real trip.

I'm curious, what states require written quotes? Not doubting it at all, it's just a culture shock for this Oklahoma hillbilly, where a handshake is golden

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
How do you guy deal with the customer that can't stop following you?
If I'm working by the hour I just keep going slower and slower, when he leaves for a few minutes I start working fast again. Occassionaly a customer will notice & comment on this, most of the time not.

If I'm contracting it depends, but I have walked away while customer was talking to the back of my head, sometimes be a few rooms away or out at the truck and he's still talking to me.

kwired

Electron manager
...How do you guy deal with the customer that can't stop following you?

Find a way to create a lot of arcs and sparks at the main panel, then turn around and they will usually not be there anymore:grin:

True story at a small plant I used to do work at:

They blew a 600 amp fuse one day, since a lot of equipment was down production employees were just standing around watching the maintenance guys (they knew some electrical but in no way were electricians - this was nearly 20 years ago and we had been called and were already on the way there - please do not jump all over any procedures that were used, things would probably be different if it happend today especially if the company was still there).

They had determined that they had a blown fuse and replaced it, turned the switch back on and voltage conditions were still unsatisfactory.

They turned the switch back off done some more checking and decided to turn the switch on with the door of the disconnect open to make sure the switch was actually closing properly. A big ball of fire came out of that switch when they operated it, and they were lucky nobody was hurt.

The maintenance guy that turned the switch on said he noticed all those production guys that had nothing better to do than watch were gone after that.

He can laugh about it after the fact because nothing serious happened but I'm sure he learned to never close a switch that way again.

Status
Not open for further replies.