more than one conductor per terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomray1952

Ref 16.1.8 in 1997 edition of industrial machinery states that "not more than two conductors shall be terminated at each terminal connection." In 2002 version Chapter 14 doesn't specifically address this point at all. We use 600v or less 3 phase power distribution blocks with 12 openings per pole on the secondary side to supply line sides to branch circuit breakers. Assuming correct ampacities are followed for the wire, is it acceptable practice to put two wires into a single hole / pole connecting point on the distribution terminal block ?

physis

Re: more than one conductor per terminal

Based on the NEC, it's ok if the terminal is listed for two conductors.

physis

Ryan I was not aware of that.

This only applies to panelboards though, right?

dillon3c

sam, manufacturers make a "tear-drop" shaped lugg for the installation of more than one ungrounded conductor,under same lugg.

But not for installation, in the grounded conductor(s).article 408.41

Edited:2005 NEC, the exception in 408.41,I never seen it(tear-drop) for the grounded conductor under one lugg..best of my knowledge not made..

[ May 17, 2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

ryan_618

This is a new requirement for the 2002, but only sort of. From my understanding, this has been a listing requirement for quite some time [110.3(B)], and therefore hasn't been permitted, even under the 1999. I didn't realize that until the 2002 NEC though.

Yes, it applies only to panels, which is why, when I get a minute or two, I want to propose a change to put this requirement into 110.14(C), or perhaps somewhere in article 200. ...Wait a minute...I wonder if there is a listing requirement that makes this pertain to all terminals, not just those found in panelboards???

Dillon: 408.21 is a section, not an article. 408 is an article.

pierre

2003 General Information from Electrical Construction Equipment Directory
Part 1 - better known as the White Book [UL]

Electrical Equipment for Use in Ordinary Locations (AALZ)

Distribution and Control Equipment Terminations

Terminals-Product terminals, including wire connectors and terminal screws, are acceptable for connection of only one conductor, unless there is marking or a wiring diagram indicating the number of conductors which may be connected.

This is on page 4. It is identical for the 2004 version.

Manufacturers and UL have had this requirement for quite some time. It has only been recently spelled out in the NEC.

It is funny how so many people will terminate 2 conductors under a termination, instead of a simple splice - especially in a panel enclosure - because they think that splicing in a panel enclosure is not permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.