more voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

sivaji

please any body clear my doubt, iam working in lighting circuit,there showing incoming supply from phase to neatrul showing 230v and phase to earth showing 440v,neatrual to earth showing 230v, but all lighting working well.there is three phase supply with neatrual coming from lighting transformer,how to this much voltage come and what is the proplem.please clear my doubt. by sivaji.

jbwhite

Re: more voltage

if the ground and neutral are not properly bonded all kinds of wierd voltage readings can result.

since you say you have a voltage neutral to ground i have to guess that this is the problem.

physis

Voltage on an open neutral?

Edit: 230v. is 9% low for a 440 wye neutral. That's odd. There could be a voltage drop issue there. But the rest of it still sounds like a corner ground.

Does one of the phases show nothing to ground?

[ November 24, 2005, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

O

oliver100

Not only the neutral is not bonded to the ground, but one of your lights has a grounded phase. If a similar ground occurs on a different phase you are going to have a short.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Where is this located (i.e., is it in the US)? I ask because I wonder if this a three phase, WYE configuration, with the neutral not grounded?

Status
Not open for further replies.