Most effecient lighting?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

dia480

I am being asked by commercial and Industrial customers what is the most efficient lighting out there for them or just in general. I would like to know with confidence so I can speak with them with some authority. Any help would be appreciated...

Mike D

-marty

Re: Most effecient lighting?????????

Mike,

I wish I could help you with numbers and studies and stuff but I can't. What I tell most people is look what's out there. Most people don't use expensive lighting unless the cost is justified by the results.

hurk27

Sofar soduim vapor is but metal halide is catching up fast as the new pules start fixtures use half as much energy to startup and the 300w produces more light than the older 400w
Look on Rudd's web site and they will deal stright with the contractor.

Went there and they have test that the 150w psmh out performed the hps 150w
psmh was 13,500 lumans
hps was 9500 lumans
now when they get into higher the hps comes back but not by much.

Here's the link:
http://www.ruudlighting.com/

[ June 08, 2003, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

varnerelt

There is a lighting out there that is expensive I put 3 of them in a room with a 20ft ceiling and about 20 by 30 ft and it looks like day light out and they are expensive but the bulbs are rated for 5 year use but off the top of my head i can not remember the name when I do i will get back to you

charlie tuna

i have read some stuff about led light fixtures and the efficency is great but right now is limited to it's application...

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Metal Halide is being replaced with T-5/electronic flouresent lighting. It is more energy efficient, can be switched for daylight controls, and has instant on, the lamp life is far longer, and lamp color does not change over life as with Metal Halide.
Low Pressure Sodium is more efficent than HPS, but has very poor color rendition, and the lamps are very long
For outdoor area lighting, the source of interest is the induction lamp. a radio frequency generator excites the lamp, estimates are 100,000 hrs + lamp life (HPS is 24,000). There is a large project in Arizona with 7,000 inductions street lights being installed. Induction ligting has a good color rendition, similar to HID, but is instant on. HID lamp life is about 12,000 hrs.
Of course LED applications are not too far off.
For the average inside application, the best source is T-8 with electronic ballast. Also the compact flouresents are a good source for a downlight.
For the typical outside application, HPS is the standard, however, there are now fixtures with 42 and 84 watt compact flouresnet, but keep in mind compact flouresent (I think I have mis-spelled it) has a short lamp life of 12,000 hours.

dia480

So practically speaking the sodiums are still the most commonaly known as the most efficient.?

dia yes low pressure sodium light is most useable light per watt but cant stand mono color it is very orange and very poor color retation but highpressure sodum is pretty common here in usa for streetlighting and large storage bulding but now most are changeing to metal haldie for better colour retaion and wattage is better now than the old style and i did sold quite a few 320 and 350 watts metalhalide pulse start verison and man it do really go better than old 400 watts units do crank out and have longer service life than old one and restarting time is faster than old one old one take about 15- 45 min to restart and new pulse start do less than 5 min that is big diffrence and for flourescent lamps t-8 is most common now but i start seeing T-5 version comming out i dont have much exparnce with it but what i heard it do really kick out alot of light per watts and compact flourscent lamps they have pretty good slection now but life will run from 6k hours to 20 k hours depend on what kind most run in 12-15 k hours life ave now

led light is pretty new to me but have very good service life 100,000 hours life

induction lamps i dont have much info with me yet it is a new toy for me to figure it out

merci marc

hurk27

Some of these newer flourescent fixtures are using a type of RF generator to fire them and they do get brite . I was using my spectrum analizer to find what was causing some interfearance in a radio room and it was the ballest. at 10khz. it was wiping out the am radio for regular broadcast just installed some filter caps to block anything above 15khz. and had no problem afterwards. you could almost hold a coil of wire hooked up to a speaker up to the ballest and hear the high pitched wine of the square wave signal without a amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.