Most Proposals by one person

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have reading thru the proposals for the 2014 NEC and it sure looks like "James F. Williams, Fairmont, WV"
has the most proposals. He wanted to add the abbreviations for all the different wiring methods thruout the NEC, such as EMT, RMC. For what I can see they were all rejected.

ryan_618

There were over one thousand less proposals this cycle compared to the last. this is mainly due to Dan Leaf not submitting any (he turned in over one thousand last time!). I had about 80 or so written, typed, substantiated, and signed, yet NFPA didn't recieve them. :(

iwire

Staff member
There were over one thousand less proposals this cycle compared to the last. this is mainly due to Dan Leaf not submitting any (he turned in over one thousand last time!). I had about 80 or so written, typed, substantiated, and signed, yet NFPA didn't recieve them. :(

That seems so odd, did he get upset and bail out?

I mean to go from 1000 to 0 in one code cycle is kind of drastic.

And that stinks about your stuff getting lost. Being as close to RI as I am I immediately thought something dishonest happened to your proposals.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I noticed that 5 or 6 of mine were never received and 4 or 5 are duplicates-- I know I sent in the duplicates but don't know what happened to the others.

ryan_618

Bob: I don't know what happened to Dan. Granted, most of his proposals were lame, but some of them actually made sense. I agree, going from 1,000 to zero is pretty strange, I was wondering if he met with an accident or something. Very strange indeed.

fmtjfw

I have reading thru the proposals for the 2014 NEC and it sure looks like "James F. Williams, Fairmont, WV"
has the most proposals. He wanted to add the abbreviations for all the different wiring methods thruout the NEC, such as EMT, RMC. For what I can see they were all rejected.

That is me.

For one class of comments -- Abbreviations
Rejection was different depending on the CMP.

The rationale is that I would be able to find all the rules pertaining, say, to PVC using a simple search. It turns out I can't search for just PVC or "rigid non-metallic conduit" or "conduit" as each of those searches return false positives and/or false negatives.

My approach was to make the document more usable by making it easier to search. I am a believer in using the same name for the same thing and different names for different things.

Another class of comment was to place the definition of the same term used in multiple articles in article 100. It is my understanding that that is the purpose of article 100. Some terms are defined only in article xxx but used in articles xxx, yyy, and zzz. Once again a usability issue.

Another class of comments is safety related. Example: New labeling and disconnect requirements for control systems that contain UPSes and provide lethal voltages outside the control cabinet even when ALL disconnects feeding the cabinet are opened.

There are more. I'm about to start reviewing the ROPs.

I'll probably be asking for support for some comments on the ROP

Thanks,

/s/ Jim Williams

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Jim I thought your proposals made sense on the abbreviations, esp as the abbreviations are used in the article titles. Its almost like the CMPs ganged up on you.
As far as Dan Leaf, from what I have heard, no one knows who he really was. Some said he was an instructor who had his students send in proposals under his name.

fmtjfw

for the record

for the record

Here are the rough statistics on the ROPs

total submitted 3770
accepted 1671
percentage 31%

Highest single person (me) submitted 511
accepted 90
percentage 17.6%

Highest number accepted (dollard) 90
submitted 141
percentage 70.2%
a lot these were the 1KV task force submissions

After seeing the wholesale rejection of my acronym suggestions by many CMPs and lack of luck in getting definitions used in multiple articles moved to 100, I was surprised by the amount accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.