Most three phase loads are delta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronaldrc

Just a thought.

I hear electricians ask a lot is it delta or Wye?

But from looking at it from the line side most all three phase circuits are a delta.

Draw a panel and apply 4 loads from cir.#2 through #8 you've just made a delta.

Might not be balanced but its a delta.

Ed MacLaren

Re: Most three phase loads are delta?

I would suggest that many loads form wye connections.

- Any three 120 volt lighting or receptacle circuits supplied from a 208/120 volt panel, providing they are fed from different phases.

- Ditto for any three 277 volt lighting circuits supplied from a 277/480 volt panel, providing they are fed from different phases.

- The windings of many three phase motors are wye connected. That is the motor designer's decision.

- Any three single phase service transformers (POCO) that are supplied from one phase and the neutral of a four-wire line, providing they are fed from different phases.

Ed

[ February 27, 2005, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Ed,

Good examples, except a three phase motor with wye connected windings is still a "delta" load on the power grid.

rattus

Jim,

If all we know are line voltages and currents, how do we know the load configuration?

ronaldrc

I should have not posted this as a separate thread probably but I did. Visualize what I am talking about any time we hook up a 3 phase panel the loads that come off it are in a parallel Delta. Its just not something we think about being that way or at least I didn't.

In my example I used Circuits 2,4,6 and 8 but since we are talking about single phase loads we normally wouldn't hook two wire to a breaker terminal so I will change the breakers.

Start with A phase loads to #2 and #4, B phase #10 and #12, C phase #18 and #20 we just made a delta connection on this system.

Also if you use the circuits between these circuits they will form a delta.

Ed MacLaren

any time we hook up a 3 phase panel the loads that come off it are in a parallel Delta
How can you say that without specifying the system voltages or the load voltage?

It will depend on whether the individual loads are connected line-to-line (480 volt load on 480/277 volt panel) or, line-to-neutral (277 volt load on 480/277 volt panel).

a three phase motor with wye connected windings is still a "delta" load on the power grid.
Right, Jim. No neutral to the motor. :eek:

Ed

[ February 27, 2005, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

ronaldrc

Ed I'm not saying its a balanced three phase load or a intentionally designed circuit but looking at the configuration from the line side or the grid side its a delta connection.

rattus

Jim and Ed,

I think we are saying that we can treat any balanced load as a wye or delta.

With no neutral, there is no way to tell how the windings are connected just by observing line currents.

ronaldrc

This was just a observation I made and it has never been pointed out to me in my 35 years in the trade.

Didn't mean to mislead anyone I should have said all line to line loads excluding the loads connected to neutrals and grounded conductors.

But you have to admit that even on a separately derived secondary wye 120/208 the 208 loads if viewed from the bus of the power panel would be a delta.As far as a wye configured load like a motor I think maybe that maybe open for discussion.

Ronald :)

bigjohn67

If you are running a motor you can use an open delta and collectively get 208 using 2 auto transformers. Now if this equipment requires 208 3phase because of electronic controllers, a 208/120 wye should be provided. The controller may not be able to take the high leg of the 208 volt open delta.

mro

Hey! Let's all go fishing at the Delta!!!
Wye Not

ha ha ha ha (nevermind)

:D :D :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.