Motion detector for H.P.S. light ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan1021

Has anyone ever used a motion detector for H.P.S. lightings ?

I've never seen this done. I was considering using a motion detector to close a lighting contactor.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
I suppose it would depend on the exact application. As you probably know the start-up time could present a problem as well as the delay on restart while they cool down. Doesn't seem like a feasible way to control HPS lighting in most cases.

titan1021

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for your responses. My buddy is going to try connecting the "load " lead of a motion detector to the 120v coil of a lighting contactor to turn on approx. (8) HPS lights. It seems like it should work in theory, but the time it takes the lights to warm up, and the limited time the motion detectors typically allow for "ON" time could pose problems.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
titan1021 said:
Has anyone ever used a motion detector for H.P.S. lightings ?

If this is for an energy management system Sensor Switch makes products for this application.

If it's for security I agree it's a bad idea.

emahler

it can be done, but you need to install relays and timers (to allow the light to stay on long enough for full bright, and off long enough to cool down.)

by the time you are done, the cost will far exceed any savings you may think you are getting with a motion sensor. It is far cheaper and far more effective to put in a photocell or install quartz lights with a motion sensor.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Speaking of motion sensors. I have now had six, count it six of them fail on the grand total of four spotlight fixtures I had them installed on.

I think there are three different brands, and ranging in price from cheap to fairly pricey. None have lasted more than a few years. Is there a brand that works better than others?

stickboy1375

I hate motions, but if i'm forced to install them I will only use RAB Stealth Motions, which cost about $100.00 each. But they are the only ones that actually work...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
stickboy1375 said:
I hate motions, but if i'm forced to install them I will only use RAB Stealth Motions, which cost about $100.00 each. But they are the only ones that actually work...

I do not want to spend $400 on motion detectors. These are common 120V flood lights. And only one or two floods on each circuit.

stickboy1375

petersonra said:
I do not want to spend $400 on motion detectors. These are common 120V flood lights. And only one or two floods on each circuit.

Are they for your house? if so install what you want, like I said before if i'm selling a motion its going to be a $100.00 motion, because i'm not coming back to adjust the thing 10 times...:smile:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
stickboy1375 said:
Are they for your house? if so install what you want, like I said before if i'm selling a motion its going to be a $100.00 motion, because i'm not coming back to adjust the thing 10 times...:smile:

I haven't had any trouble adjusting them. In fact, most of them the adjustments went pretty easy. They just fail too often.

stickboy1375

petersonra said:
I haven't had any trouble adjusting them. In fact, most of them the adjustments went pretty easy. They just fail too often.

I hear you, I've yet to go back and replace a Stealth, so to me a hundred dollars for a quality product is not a bad deal... I really haven't had to many complaints about the cost, I just explain how bad the ten dollar motions are... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.