Motion Sensor blows up

sparkmatic

Occupation
Electrician/Instrumentation
So /we have motion sensors through out my site that power T5 fixtures single lamp, that are 240V to ground. The sensor is rated for 120/230 (single phase), 277,347. I do not see any issue with the voltage but for some reason from what I have found out that this is not the first time the sensor smoked on someone. For me it happened after I restored power, the lamps came on for about 10 seconds then the sensor let loose

I then did some checks found nothing grounded but replaced the wiring and lamps (these are fixtures that come pre set up with cables that plug in either side of each fixture (encapsulated)not my choice just whats here.

After the rewire the lights work and have worked for a few days now. Hope this makes sense.

My main question is has anyone had this kind of issue? I don't want to put the manufacture out there as it may not be their issue just don't see an issue that should cause these smoke (violently)

Thanks

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Years ago I had something similar happen older office building with EMT and BX cable with no green wire, 120v lighting, brand new motion sensors installed on existing fixtures, none worked replaced them none worked again. Supplier said we smoked em' and voided warranty.
Someone figured out we had to pull in a wire type equipment ground to get the motion sensors to work as they actually were using the equipment ground as the return for the sensor. How that got UL approved is beyond me. I would be suprised if sensors are still made that way in 2024.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Years ago I had something similar happen older office building with EMT and BX cable with no green wire, 120v lighting, brand new motion sensors installed on existing fixtures, none worked replaced them none worked again. Supplier said we smoked em' and voided warranty.
Someone figured out we had to pull in a wire type equipment ground to get the motion sensors to work as they actually were using the equipment ground as the return for the sensor. How that got UL approved is beyond me. I would be suprised if sensors are still made that way in 2024.
They still make them, but plays havoc with gfi/afci circuits if to many are on it. The current draw is very low.