Motion Sensor Lighting Control for Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cws

Hello all.

A client has a particularly tricky request to fill, and I'd love anyone who has experience in this area to chime in.

The request is not that simple - the client wants to control both a line voltage incandescent light and low voltage outdoor lighting with the same motion detector. The idea is that, upon approaching the front gate, a motion detector will send current to a duplex receptacle that has both a 120 VAC light plugged in and a 200W transformer. The transformer powers a series of 12VAC path lights that illuminate the path from the gate to the front door.

The problem - many motion detectors do not seem to be designed to control a receptacle, let alone a receptacle that has both a resistive load and an inductive load. Compounding the problem is the difficulty in finding a motion sensor with circuitry that will be compatible with the specs of the transformer, which insists that there can be no dimmer control of the light.

Does anyone have any insight or experience designing such a system? My research has pointed me in the direction of a couple different products, including a motion sensor from Wattstopper and a HeathZenith wireless motion sensor coupled with a HeathZenith wireless-controlled receptacle.

Thanks and have a great day!

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe most RAB sensors use internal relays so the type load would not be an issue. You can call them to verify. I would suggest you hard wire the light and transformer to eliminate controlling the receptacle. If you must control the receptacle use the sensor to control a small 20 amp contactor. Installing a hodgepodge of electronic devises is asking for call backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.