Motion sensor lights

Max Headroom

Occupation
General Building Contractor/Electrical Contractor
I want to install a couple of motion sensor/security lights in a customers back yard, do the lights need to be switched or can the be direct to the circuit breaker? The owner doesn't want the switch outside as an intruder might turn off the lights and an indoor switch hardwired is going to be probably more trouble to wire in than we want to deal with (damage to finish surface etc.) Thanks for any advise.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
2022 CEC
6.4.2 Outdoor Lighting Controls
All lighting must be controlled by a manual ON and OFF control switch and one of the following automatic control types:
1. Photocontrol and either a motion sensor or an automatic time switch control.
2. Astronomical time clock control.
Any override that keeps the above automatic controls on must return to automatic control operations within six hours.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Is CEC California Electrical Code?
Would hard-wiring lights to the breaker plus a photocell/motion sensor at the light(s) meet the requirements?
Would semi-hard-wired, ie a box with a timer right next to the breaker box be a possibility?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would consider the breaker to qualify as the manual control, especially if 2022 CEC 6.4.2 doesn't say where the switch must be located, and it's the breaker's only load.

Max Headroom

Occupation
I would consider the breaker to qualify as the manual control, especially if 2022 CEC 6.4.2 doesn't say where the switch must be located, and it's the breaker's only load.
I wasn't planning to make it the breakers only load but that could possibly be arranged easier than the switch, thanks Larry

Max Headroom

Occupation
2022 CEC
All lighting must be controlled by a manual ON and OFF control switch and one of the following automatic control types:
Any override that keeps the above automatic controls on must return to automatic control operations within six hours.
OK great, so not the NEC but the CEC, thank you

Max Headroom

Occupation
2022 CEC
OK so in addition to the two motion sensor lights I would also be extending the existing back porch light/circuit to the middle of the now existing patio cover. So the way I read it the new luminaire, whether just a light or possibly a ceiling fan with a light would also have to have one of the qualifying controls listed in 6.4.2 (1. Photocontrol and either a motion sensor or an automatic time switch control.
2. Astronomical time clock control.) ?

PaulMmn

Occupation
OK so in addition to the two motion sensor lights I would also be extending the existing back porch light/circuit to the middle of the now existing patio cover. So the way I read it the new luminaire, whether just a light or possibly a ceiling fan with a light would also have to have one of the qualifying controls listed in 6.4.2 (1. Photocontrol and either a motion sensor or an automatic time switch control.
2. Astronomical time clock control.) ?
Is the law concerned with things like parking lot lights and other 'civic' lighting?
At a private residence does it only affect things like 'pole lights,' ie security lights?
Does it affect things like the fan and light under the patio cover?

Max Headroom

Occupation
Is the law concerned with things like parking lot lights and other 'civic' lighting?
At a private residence does it only affect things like 'pole lights,' ie security lights?
Does it affect things like the fan and light under the patio cover?
These are great questions, I will contact the local AHJ and see what they want.

Max Headroom

Occupation
2022 CEC 6.4.2 Photocontrol and either a motion sensor or an automatic time switch control.
So the point of this is if the photocontrol fails to disconnect the load when the sun comes up the timer will act as a backup disconnect ?

PaulMmn

Occupation
2022 CEC 6.4.2 Photocontrol and either a motion sensor or an automatic time switch control.
So the point of this is if the photocontrol fails to disconnect the load when the sun comes up the timer will act as a backup disconnect ?
I read that as photocontrol plus one of these: {motion sensor | auto time switch control}

PaulMmn

Occupation
I also read it that way, my question would be why do I need a timer and a photocontrol, what are we trying to achieve?
I think California is trying its darnedest to not waste 1 erg of electricity! Even if it takes layer upon layer of automation to do it!
I think the timer or motion control is, as you suggested, in case the photocell doesn't know it's light out.
If you use the timer, what about those Dark and Stormy days when the street lights turn on about noon because it's so dark? They'd force your yard to stay dark!