Motion Sensor/Photocell on dimmable fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMacky

Does anyone have a bright idea or a resource for a photocell-motion sensor combo that I can use in an outdoor lighting scenario where I need to be able to dim the fixtures? :confused:

Basically, the fixtures are recessed eave lights all around the structure. They are required by Cal Title 24 to be motion sensor/photocell controlled, since they are not high efficacy fixtures. The homeowner desperately wants them dimmable (the reason she bought these fixtures in the first place) but I keep falling short of a solution that allows us to do both (dim and control with sensors located in the eaves).

Anybody want to chime in on this one?? Thank you!

Bob

BMacky

Your dimmer will have to be after any photocell/motion sensor.

OK, but I am concerned with the override function where you can set the lights on manually with two off-on sequences. The sensor I chose for this application allows that, but if you want the lights to stay on continuously, until dawn, the switch is after the sensor and would not affect this control properly.

I was hoping for something compatible with a dimmer ahead of the sensor.

I think I'm hosed (or the homeowner needs to bail on dimming these fixtures).

gar

Occupation
EE
091202-0838 EST

BMacky:

Just put an ordinary switch ahead of the light control and leave the dimmer after the light control and never turn off the dimmer with the dimmer switch.

You should use a light control that requires a neutral, if such a device exists. I call this a three wire device. It derives the power for its electronics from hot to neutral rather than from hot thru the resistance of the load to neutral as in a two wire device. The three wire device does not require a low resistance load in order to work.

Also use a dimmer that when set to its lowest setting will recover to that setting after loss of power and reapplication of power to the dimmer.

sbrn33

Would a timer meet the Title 24 requirements? Some of the newer electronic ones are pretty nice. Put that ahead of the dimmer and I think you might have a pretty decent set up.
Scott

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One other possibility: X-10 or a similar remote/automation technology. You can use any desired combination of motion, light-sensing, timing, dimming, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.