Motor circuit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night65

If i have a motor drawing 70 amps per phase what size wire should be used
Does wire for motors say 70 amps differ from say a 70 amp dishwasher.
Also this is propably a dumb question but can somebody tell me where in the nec book i can find how many amps for and #1 #2 #3 #4 , i have searched the boof but i get confused in the back with all the charts, is there one charts thats just down right easy to read

iwire

Staff member
The ampacity of conductors can be found in 310.16

As far as 'a motor draws 70 amps' that is not where to start.

What is the horsepower, voltage and phase of the motor?

Night65

Thanks

Thanks

do you know if the motor drawing 70 amps and dishwasher using 70 amps are using the same size wire. The question about what size wire to use on a 70 amp per phase motor was on a test today that i had to guess on cause i had no clue, now i know for breaker size on a drwaing of 70 amps has to be 90 amp breaker to allow for the extra 25% but thats all the question gave was ( what size wire do you use on a 70 amp per phase motor ) there was no hp or anything else for that matter.

Hey also to all the guys who answer quetions i just want to say thank you cause you guys are a great reference and really teach about locations in the book which is a weak point of mine

resistance

I'm sorry but I'm lost.

Sure they aren't trying to get you to find the equivalent. If this is the case see 430.248, then follow NEC code rules to get your answer. (assuming single phase).
Note: I haven't seen a dishwash that pulled 70 amps

????
:-?

haskindm

Night65,
You need to spend some more time in article 430. A motor drawing 70 amps would need a minimum 90-amp (actually 88 amp) conductor since motor conductors need to be sized at 125% of Full Load current. The breaker would be sized at a minimum of 250% assuming that it is an inverse time breaker. Wiring for a dishwasher is different than for a motor. The motor load is usually a small percentage of the load of a dishwasher. The majority of the load would be the heating elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.