Motor circuits to outbuilding considered service conductors.

Mr. Pickle

Occupation
Electrical
Have an outbuilding with a panelboard with main breaker (SE Rated). Panelboard is fed from a branch circuit from the main building.

Also in the main building, I have motor starters. I am running three motor circuits from load side of three different starters to the same outbuilding mentioned above. Each motor circuit will run to a disconnect (non-fused) switch inside the outbuilding.

Questions:
Will the non-fused disconnects for the motor circuits count towards a service disconnect?
Do the motor disconnects need to be grouped in same location as the SE rated panelboard?

Can I run additional 120V circuits sourced from the main building, through a control panel in the main building, to chemical pump receptacles in the outbuilding (I want to run from control panel so I can control the power to the pumps to start/stop them)?
Do these need to be on some sort of disconnect?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think you may have a problem with 225.
225.30 Number of Supplies.
A building or other structure that is served by a branch circuit or feeder on the load side of a service disconnecting means shall be supplied by only one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (F). For the purpose of this section, a multiwire branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit. ...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
To be "service conductors" they would need to be direct form the utility service point with no OCP ahead of them.
They would be feeders or branch circuits.
don cautioned you on 225.30 but that changed in the '23 Code (perhaps the'20)plus there are exceptions which likely fit your facility.

Mr. Pickle

Occupation
Electrical
To be "service conductors" they would need to be direct form the utility service point with no OCP ahead of them.
They would be feeders or branch circuits.
don cautioned you on 225.30 but that changed in the '23 Code (perhaps the'20)plus there are exceptions which likely fit your facility.

Sorry a bit confused by this.

We will be feeding a 100A panel in the outbuilding.

225.30 (A): The motor circuits ran to the outbuilding are for wastewater tank blowers. Are you thinking exception 225.30(A)(6) would apply?

NEC Screenshot 2024-09-18 200608.png