Motor Fuel dispensing facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspectorcliff

Question: the 20ft is measured from the dispensing device horizontally. I get the feeling that it doesn't matter if the hose is a 8' for a vehicle or a 75' for an aircraft. Is it still 20ft from the dispensing device? Thanks

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Assuming you are referring to Table 514.3(B)(1) and Figure 514.3, you are correct; however, if the application is for an aircraft hanger Section 513.3 must also be considered.

Also note if the facility is indoor with only gravity ventilation the distance is 25?.

Inspectorcliff

rbalex said:
Assuming you are referring to Table 514.3(B)(1) and Figure 514.3, you are correct; however, if the application is for an aircraft hanger Section 513.3 must also be considered.

Also note if the facility is indoor with only gravity ventilation the distance is 25?.
How true, but this job is not a aircraft hanger, and it indeed has a electricmotor pump dispensing unit. Thanks.:cool:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
This is something of a mixed bag. The dispenser is definitively covered by Article 514 if it is listed under UL 87, but the end of the hose may not be. The hose itself is NOT a problem though. It doesn?t require any extraordinary measures. Depending on the maximum flow rates involved, you may also want to take a peak at NFPA 30, Table 8.2.2. It probably won?t change anything but you may want to look.

Inspectorcliff

rbalex said:
This is something of a mixed bag. The dispenser is definitively covered by Article 514 if it is listed under UL 87, but the end of the hose may not be. The hose itself is NOT a problem though. It doesn?t require any extraordinary measures. Depending on the maximum flow rates involved, you may also want to take a peak at NFPA 30, Table 8.2.2. It probably won?t change anything but you may want to look.
Thanks, I am always up for looking, and sometimes, I even understand.:):)

Status
Not open for further replies.