Motor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I had a customer bring me a motor to see if I could wire/connect it to run on 120V. There is no visible wiring diagram but the nameplate shows 110V/220V, so I know it can be wired for either. There are 6 leads, 4 are labeled T-1 thru T-4, and 2 are unlabeled. I'm guessing the 2 unlabeled are the inputs, and if so, I don't know which would be neutral if wiring for 120V. I presume I could use a meter to check continuity but I don't know what I'm looking for.
I need to know two things...........
1) how to wire it
2) can it be wired forward or reverse

Here are some pics. If you can't see the name plate, it says
frame 1200
H.P. 3/4
type KB
volts 110/220
cycles 60
phase 1
amps 9.8/4.9

temporary image hosting

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Presumably T 1,2,3,4 are your running windings and would be hooked up L1 to T1 and T3, Neutral to T2 and T4. The two unmarked leads would be the starting winding, normally marked 5 and 8. You would land 5 with 1 and 3 and the 8 with 2 and 4. To reverse the motor you would swap 5 and 8.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Presumably T 1,2,3,4 are your running windings and would be hooked up L1 to T1 and T3, Neutral to T2 and T4. The two unmarked leads would be the starting winding, normally marked 5 and 8. You would land 5 with 1 and 3 and the 8 with 2 and 4. To reverse the motor you would swap 5 and 8.
If it makes a difference, one of the two unmarked wires is smaller than the other.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Looks like it's all a moot point. I connected it and plugged it in and .................................nothing. I suspect the cap is bad. I also found a huge dirt dobber's nest in it. With the age, rust, dirt, I don't think it's worth fooling with any further.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Looks like it's all a moot point. I connected it and plugged it in and .................................nothing. I suspect the cap is bad. I also found a huge dirt dobber's nest in it. With the age, rust, dirt, I don't think it's worth fooling with any further.
There’s no way I could stop there. I would have to either get it running or at least see if there any magic smoke left in it.
If I’m going to throw it away anyway it’s gonna smoke

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
There’s no way I could stop there. I would have to either get it running or at least see if there any magic smoke left in it.
If I’m going to throw it away anyway it’s gonna smoke
It's not my motor and I'm sure the customer doesn't want me to buy a cap just to see the magic smoke. If it were mine, I would play with it some more but it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.