Motor lead taping

Status
Not open for further replies.

user 100

I don't use the cambric...just use 130C and 33+ for the ones we tape, which are only the smaller ones now. For bigger ones, we use the Raychem Gel Caps.

For those who don't like not using the cambric first, I have never had any trouble removing my tape, assuming that the 130C was installed per the instructions...sticky side out. You just cut a lengthwise slit in the tape and grab it with two pairs of pliers, and open the splice up...it comes completely off with no issues.

Don't do motors but the few vintage kearneys (vestiges of old services) I've sliced open shows the value of doing that sticky side out with a good tape job- no matter how old it was, could just slice thru the outer layers of friction tape or vinyl/ inner rubber tape that followed w/a utility knife and the bug was exposed and pretty clean too.

Surprised nobody uses Polaris grays in motors.

Have often thought the labor savings on those would far outweigh the initial cost.

No idea how they would stand up to vibration, though.

We tried the Greys. Vibration is an issue, the strands break right at the setscrew dimple in the sleeve on 3600 rpm motors. I believe the problem could be overcome if the installer taped the two leads together so the fine stranded lead did not flex right at the dimple. We do not have the strands break when we use split bolt or crimped lug bolted connections. I believe the tapered taping of the leads acts as a strain relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.