motor overloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

I know when selecting the motor overloads you take the nameplate FLC and multiply it by 125% if the service factor of 1.15 or more. When selecting a range for electronic overloads how do you do that?

Jakewhis said:
I know when selecting the motor overloads you take the nameplate FLC and multiply it by 125% if the service factor of 1.15 or more. When selecting a range for electronic overloads how do you do that?

The manufacturer provides instructions how to select the overload.

Some ranges are generated by IEC standards and some tries to follow the NEMA starter sizes to cover the corresponding motor HP.

You dial the electronic overload to the FLA multiplied by the service factor. Should you have drastically different ambient temperature at the motor than the controller adjust accordingly.

JdoubleU

charlie tuna said:
we always used nameplate full load amperage and increased it one size as listed on the motor starter cover..........
My purchaseing agent keeps asking me for range on the motor overload and I don't know how to answer that question other than how to size the overload in the code. The FLA on the motor is 2.2 amps

iwire

Staff member
Jakewhis said:
My purchaseing agent keeps asking me for range on the motor overload and I don't know how to answer that question other than how to size the overload in the code. The FLA on the motor is 2.2 amps

Is your PA getting NEMA OLs

p1025585.jpg

or IEC OLs.

D0403-224.jpg

IEC OLs do not use heaters, they are adjustable over a range of currents.

Last edited:

EBFD6

This is really a manufacturer specific question. What I mean is a lot of manufacturers now will tell you on their overload selection charts that if your motor has a service factor of 1.15 then just take the FLC off the nameplate and match up to the chart, they already have factored in the 1.25% increase. Some do not however, so you really need to figure out what manufacturer you are using and go from there. Read their literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.