Motor question

SonofAdam

Occupation
Electrician
Got an exam question on my masters...

240V 3 phase motors : What is the overcurrent protection required for the following.

one 50 HP 3 phase, 2 10HP motors and one 50 hp motor that has a 5 minute rated short duty motor.

I know that it's 125% of the largest motor plus 100% of the others... the 5 minute thing is throwing me for a loop

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Red herring? I have had instructors do this sort of stuff on purpose, just to make you think “Why is that there?”, when in fact it’s totally superfluous information.

The 5 minute rating might be important for selecting CONDUCTOR size, as per 430.22(E), but has no bearing on the OCPD issue as far as I know.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
Also see 430.24 exception 1. Or Maybe 430.53? It really depends on how the question was worded. If this is branch circuit or feeder protection. If it is feeder:

You would be using 430.62 for the calculation. (technically 430.63 but it points you back to 430.62). Since 430.62 points to conductors sized based on 430.24, I am assuming you would use the reduced ampacity rating for the 50HP 5min rated motor.

Largest protective device + FLA of all other devices on the branch circuit.

50HP (largest OC protective device) + 5min rated FLA of 50HP motor + FLA of 10HP motor + FLA of 10HP motor

They should have specified a type of overcurrent protection.