motor rated breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Then what provision of the code permits the use of the instantaneous trip breaker in a MCC bucket? To me the code is clear that an instantaneous trip breaker can only be used as part of a listed combination motor controller.

Does the NEC define a 'listed combination motor controller' or are you just using the UL guide number for an actual 'Combination Starter'?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Then what provision of the code permits the use of the instantaneous trip breaker in a MCC bucket? To me the code is clear that an instantaneous trip breaker can only be used as part of a listed combination motor controller.

I think you are obsessing over just what entails being "listed".

UL lists all kinds of combinations of things that do not have a UL listing sticker on the assembly that is specific to the assembly.

Look at MCCBs. They come with the same UL label regardless of whether you get it with the lugs or not. The lugs that come with the CBs are not listed. They are only recognized. The listing includes the various combinations of lugs and MCCB that are allowed. In fact, if you want, you can use your own UL listed lugs and not use the manufacturer's lugs at all.

By the way, I think you need to look at just what constitutes a "combination motor controller". UL has more than one category code that covers combination motor controllers.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Does the NEC define a 'listed combination motor controller' or are you just using the UL guide number for an actual 'Combination Starter'?
As far as I know the NEC does not define that term, but the title of the UL Guide I referenced is the same term as used in the code.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
By the way, I think you need to look at just what constitutes a "combination motor controller". UL has more than one category code that covers combination motor controllers.
That would be fine, but the code very clearly requires that the instantaneous trip breaker be a part of a listed combination motor controller. If the product is not listed as such, you have to use fuses or thermal magnetic breaker.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think you are obsessing over just what entails being "listed".
It would be my opinion that the combination motor controller must have the OCPD, the controller, and the overloads and that these items have to listed as a combination. You just can't grab listed or recognized devices and throw them together and say you have a listed combination motor controller.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It would be my opinion that the combination motor controller must have the OCPD, the controller, and the overloads and that these items have to listed as a combination. You just can't grab listed or recognized devices and throw them together and say you have a listed combination motor controller.

I agree with that. UL provides the list of what parts can be assembled together.

i do not believe there is any requirement that they be supplied assembled by the manufacturer or be supplied in an enclosure of some sort.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I agree with that. UL provides the list of what parts can be assembled together.

In general the list is usually part of the MCP requirements. It is rare to find mechanical starter and overloads which have restrictions on their protective devices, although electronic devices such as VFDs and Soft Starters usually have very specific protection requirements.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
i do not believe there is any requirement that they be supplied assembled by the manufacturer or be supplied in an enclosure of some sort.
There is not, and that is why I posted the guide information. It says that it may be assembled from individual discrete components. It also says that is can be an "open" assembly for factory or field installation in an enclosure for industrial control equipment, a cabinet or a cutout box.

templdl

There is not, and that is why I posted the guide information. It says that it may be assembled from individual discrete components. It also says that is can be an "open" assembly for factory or field installation in an enclosure for industrial control equipment, a cabinet or a cutout box.

I found this Data Bulletin from SqD which includes a UL508 Part IV which defines the component functions, constuction, testing, and performance requirements of 6 styles of combination starters.
There are A, B, C, and combination starter types, and E and F "Recognized" combination starter types.
REFERENCES UL 508
ISBN 0-7629-0404-6
Industrial Control Equipment
Seventeenth Edition, Dated January 28, 1999
NEC
2002 Edition
I believe that you will find the coordination considerations an interesting read. It may be something that would be useful if kept on file.

Attachments

• UL508 Encl cont.pdf
    64.7 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.