Motor Starter advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan1021

I've got a long time customer that purchased this used commercial food mixer recently and he would like me to wire it up.
I have installed starters and VFD's before but its not exactly my thing.
I hoping someone can give me some advice or point me in the right direction regarding a super basic and preferably inexpensive starter set-up for this mixer.

This mixer uses a 25hp 3phase motor rated for 440v, which we will be running with the available 480v until it dies. (Once this motor dies we will be replacing it with a 480v rated unit.) The speed does not need to be variable and there is no need for reversing the motor.
Really just need an On & Off with thermal overload protection.

Does anyone have a specific brand or go to starter or set-up for this kind of situation?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Mixer.jpg
    Mixer.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 27
  • Mixer2.jpg
    Mixer2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 28

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'm less concerned about brand than I am about what is readily available in the area and what my favorite supply house guy is familiar with. Any off the shelf NEMA starter is going to cost three times as much as an IEC starter and last four times as long.

jeremy.zinkofsky

Don't get hung up on brand type. You need to ask the supply house for a minimum NEMA 2 rated starter. The starter enclosure also has to be rated for the type of location. If dry location then NEMA 1. If wet indoor location, NEMA 4X. If outdoor location, NEMA 3.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Seeing that you already have a Fused Disconnect there, you could use a Manual Motor Starter, so long as they understand the ramifications of what happens with a power failure (as in the utility power fails). With a MMS, the starter stays in the ON position so when power is restored, the mixer will come on immediately, which might be dangerous. If you use a Magnetic starter and a Start-Stop push button (what's called "3 wire control"), if the power fails, the coil drops out and when power comes back, someone has to hit the START button again to restart it. If the user is somewhat unsophisticated, I recommend the Mag Starter and 3 wire control route, it's safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.