Motor Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

garfo55

I'll admit I'm not familiar with Motor starters. I have an AB Manual Starter 609-AAW Series E Size 0 3 phase. It is new but about 10 years old. The spindle on T2 is not there for the heater. Is this common for a 3 phase starter? Thanks

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'll admit I'm not familiar with Motor starters. I have an AB Manual Starter 609-AAW Series E Size 0 3 phase. It is new but about 10 years old. The spindle on T2 is not there for the heater. Is this common for a 3 phase starter? Thanks
609AAW says it is for 3 phase and if it only has 2 OL heaters, it is pre-1978, when A-B and everyone else went to having an OL heater in each phase per the NEC (table 430.37). So it's either older than you think it is, or someone has removed one spindle because they were using it on a single phase motor and they thought they needed to (they didn't).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
609AAW says it is for 3 phase and if it only has 2 OL heaters, it is pre-1978, when A-B and everyone else went to having an OL heater in each phase per the NEC (table 430.37). So it's either older than you think it is, or someone has removed one spindle because they were using it on a single phase motor and they thought they needed to (they didn't).
I thought that change to require 3 overloads was made in the 68 or 71 code.

dicklaxt

I think it was earlier than 78 too,,I remember talk about the 3rd overload in the late 60's but not sure when it got in print.

dick

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I worked for A-B in 1978, that's when they made the change from the old 709 starters to the 509 starters and at the time, we were told it was because of this issue. But I think you may be right, it looks as though the change actually took place in the 1971 NEC.

I was still in high school at that time, so forgive me....

Status
Not open for further replies.