Motor Starts/HR

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Ref: NEMA Standards Publication MG 10-2001

Trying to calculate the # of allowed starts per hour on a small motor. Part of the formula asks for values listed in MG1 - 12.54.

Someone have that available? My search found a place to buy the whole thing, and while that may be of benefit eventually, today isn't the day.

Yes, same project.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Trying to calculate the # of allowed starts per hour on a small motor. Part of the formula asks for values listed in MG1 - 12.54.

Someone have that available? My search found a place to buy the whole thing, and while that may be of benefit eventually, today isn't the day.

Yes, same project.
I have what I believe is a copy of MG 1-2007... but there is no 12.54. It's only 6 pages of content (12 actual), 8 sections plus Annex A?which is Table 12-12.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Yes, same project.
I have a copy at my office, I'll PM the info for you later today when I get back from a jobsite (assuming I remember).

gar

Occupation
EE
141029-1958 EDT

If your drive can provide current limiting (torque limiting) and you set this below the maximum continuous rating of the motor, then as a rough statement I would say there is no limit on the starts per hour. If you don't exceed the maximum design internal hot spot temperature then there should be no motor damage.

I believe you are concerned with your 7.5 HP motor that is normally only loaded to about 1/2 its rating. At a continuous load of 1/2 motor rating the motor temperature rise is probably about 1/4 of its full load rise assuming full motor speed. Lower motor speeds cause a higher temperature rise. If you need near zero speed at full load torque, then the motor needs an external blower.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
That looks like a lot of math! Might be time to use a drive, then you don't have to worry about the starts!:D

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The information was more for me than the project, but it did keep me from any beer yesterday afternoon and looks like it may make a teetotaler out of me. I should have paid more attention in school. HINT...HINT to you guys just starting out.

The 7.5 appears to draw less than 1/2 at start with a loaded auger. My load is an average of 5 one second recordings. Running is 1/3 give or take.

Status
Not open for further replies.