Motors and Swimming Pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

What is the distance requirement for the pump motor from a swimming pool? NOT the motor for a retractable cover, I am aware of that code section. I'm looking for an answer in the 1999 or 2002 NEC. If you have an answer please include the code section. Thanks!

jwelectric

Re: Motors and Swimming Pools

Nothing makes my morning any better than a question that needs more information. Based on a good guess of what you are looking for I will post this from the 2002 cycle.

680.22 Area Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment.
(A) Receptacles.
(1) Circulation and Sanitation System, Location. Receptacles that provide power for water-pump motors or for other loads directly related to the circulation and sanitation system shall be located at least 3.0 m (10 ft) from the inside walls of the pool, or not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside walls of the pool if they meet all of the following conditions:
(1) Consist of single receptacles
(2) Employ a locking configuration
(3) Are of the grounding type
(4) Have GFCI protection
Could this be what you are looking for?
:)

richg

No. I am looking for the required distance for a HARD WIRED motor. The section you gave is for a motor with a receptacle and gives the distance for the receptacle serving the motor. I cannot find a requirement for distance for a hard wired motor

bphgravity

There is nothing in the NEC that provides a minimum or maximum distance the pool motor must be from the pool. Nor is there a minimum or maximum length for the wiring to the motor.

Maybe you should describe the situation or particular installation you are refering to. There could possibly be local restrictions or requirements that exceed the NEC.

richg

That is exactly what I concluded. I am an electrical inspector in Long Beach CA and we had a contractor ask this question yesterday and none of us could find it in the book which is very suprising.

electricmanscott

Originally posted by richg:
That is exactly what I concluded. I am an electrical inspector in Long Beach CA and we had a contractor ask this question yesterday and none of us could find it in the book which is very suprising.
What is surprising, the fact that there is nothing in the book for motor locations or the fact that you guys were on the losing end of "Stump the inspector"? :D

JES2727

Most areas have codes that cover this, but it may not be in the electrical code. It's the same code that requires ladder enclosures and gates, etc. Check with the building dept. In my area, the pump must be minimum 3 feet from the side of an above ground pool, to prevent someone from stepping on the pump or filter to gain access to the pool. I don't know what the requirement is for an in-ground pool.

John

[ September 08, 2005, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: JES2727 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.