Mount lights on uneven steel siding surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
How is the best way to mount outside coach lights on corrugated steel siding? Cut the steel and extend a waterproof round box outside 3/4 inch to match the steel rib depth? Or is there a decorative box available that surface mounts ? Thank you

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
How about a picture of the siding. There are several different variations.

-Hal
I'm not at that job now for a photo, but, it is flat with a 3/4 inch raised hump about every 8 inches. If the light fixture hits between these humps, I can just bring the j box out flush with the siding and it is fine. But several of them hit half on the flat and half on the bump. If I bring the box out flush with the bump, then I have no flat surface to mount the fixture base on. If the fixture base was the same size as the box, ok, (as if a floodlight) but most coach lights are bigger base than that. I wonder if they sell some mold or something to make a level surface ? Thank you

kwired

Electron manager
What was there first? Box or siding?

Knowing it will be siding, we wait to place the fixtures and try to get those that will mount in the flat area.
:thumbsup:

That is the difficult part with this kind of panels, trying to "rough in" something when you don't know exactly where the corrugations will be when finished.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
since its a wall pack ill assume its wider than 8"... just use a short piece of strut in the valley of the steel. cutting siding is not a good idea! keeping weather out is a issue with these steel buildings...just a hole for the pipe and a bit of silicone will take care of that...sounds like you are running on the pearline- just gotta use pipe for the stub, not mc...

kwired

Electron manager
since its a wall pack ill assume its wider than 8"... just use a short piece of strut in the valley of the steel. cutting siding is not a good idea! keeping weather out is a issue with these steel buildings...just a hole for the pipe and a bit of silicone will take care of that...sounds like you are running on the pearline- just gotta use pipe for the stub, not mc...
Wall packs are simpler, OP said "coach light", which I assume means something intended to be mounted over a flush box - that becomes more difficult on this kind of finished surface sometimes.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I probably won't be able to explain this well.
You could manufacture your own fixture block out of PVC composite flat stock 3/4" or 5/4" what ever it takes. Fill in the the difference from the 3/4" raised humps with a second layer, silicone caulk behind it and cut in a flush mount box.

kwired

Electron manager
You could manufacture your own fixture block out of PVC composite flat stock 3/4" or 5/4" what ever it takes. Fill in the the difference from the 3/4" raised humps with a second layer, silicone caulk behind it and cut in a flush mount box.
Or if the sheet metal installers happen to have the need to custom make certain out of trim coil, have them custom make something for you at the fixture location(s). Keep in mind if they don't have other things to custom make out of trim coil they may not have the necessary items with them to do this.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

That's the best answer and what I would do. I'm thinking that what you have is board and batten siding only made of either steel or aluminum. I would make every effort to locate your fixtures between the battens but if you have some that land on a batten you are going to have to make a block. That means that even if you have some that land between you should use a block for them also for uniform appearance. Finish the block with paint to match the siding color. You are going to have to support the box from inside by the framing.

-Hal

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Thank you, this seems like the best answer, my customer seems to want to go with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.