Mounting A Box To Uni-Strut.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I have a steel building that I need to mount about 60 receptacle boxes on the ceiling. (Don't ask :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: )

I'm going to use beam clamps or bolts, haven't decided yet, to hang rows of Uni-Strut.

I'm having trouble finding a single gang receptacle box that mounts to Uni-Strut.

So I'm looking at a 4Sq with a bracket. I can't remember if the holes are big enough to use spring nuts?

Electrical wholesaler is closed, I'll call them in the morning. Just wondering if you guys have a good solution for this.

I see they make a channel cover for Uni-Strut, but I doubt that was designed for drilling into to install boxes.

Thanks

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Mineralac straps( stand off straps) with bolt and fender washer will line up with box ko’s. Handy boxes or 4 square with single gang rolled edge covers.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If you use the middle KO, it should line up without a kick, right?

If you bolt the box to the strut then none of the conduit will be flush with the strut, so to use the straps that hold the conduit to the strut you would need a kick.

I think this is what post 9 is about, using standoff mounting for the conduit straps.

The crazy expensive boxes made for strut open up another option: using the strut itself as the raceway. You need solid strut, a cover for the open side, and various other special fittings. And if you think those snap in receptacles were expensive......I saw this used as surface mount raceway in a residence where industrial was the design aesthetic, and it looked nice....

Jon

lordofthisworld

I have a steel building that I need to mount about 60 receptacle boxes on the ceiling. (Don't ask :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: )

I'm going to use beam clamps or bolts, haven't decided yet, to hang rows of Uni-Strut.

I'm having trouble finding a single gang receptacle box that mounts to Uni-Strut.

So I'm looking at a 4Sq with a bracket. I can't remember if the holes are big enough to use spring nuts?

Electrical wholesaler is closed, I'll call them in the morning. Just wondering if you guys have a good solution for this.

I see they make a channel cover for Uni-Strut, but I doubt that was designed for drilling into to install boxes.

Thanks
4" X 2 1/8" square box, 1/4" x 20 bolts with 1/4 spring nuts. duplex mulberry cover

Status
Not open for further replies.