Mounting a NEMA 1 Screw Cover Enclosure between ceiling joists

mikekirby

Occupation
Retired Inside Wireman Washington State
I'd like to mount a 24" x 18" x 6" NEMA 1 Screw Cover Enclosure between two ceiling joists, with the opening facing down, into the garage. The enclosure would be fastened to the ceiling joists through its' sides with blunt screws.
I am installing a new 200 amp residential panel in a different location in said garage. The purpose of the enclosure is to be a junction box where the original Romex cables will splice to conductors from the new panel.
The cut sheet from the manufacturer of the enclosure states 'wall' mounted.
Has anyone done something like this?
Could it pass inspection?
Alternatives?
Thanks for your help.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In the past I have had a local sheet metal shop make one if I couldn't find one quick enough

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Buy a flush mount box instead of a surface mount. The difference is the cover
Eh, it's not necessary, just an aesthetic choice. Another option is to set the box (without cover) a bit proud (1/8"?) of the drywall, so you can mud cleanly up to the sides of the box. I mean, it's a garage.

mikekirby

Occupation
Retired Inside Wireman Washington State
To answer Infinity’s question about fire rating: I think the answer is No.The structure of the attached garage is made of wood joists and rafters with 5/8” finished drywall affixed to the joists. No dwelling above. The house was built in mid 1960’s.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
Attached garages should be decently sealed to prevent CO and other fumes from entering the dwelling. I don't know the building codes on that subject, but it is something to consider.