mounting light fixtures on exposed round box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
How do you mount a light fixture on an outdoor exposed 4'' round box ? The fixtures are usually just a little bit bigger diameter and so the gasket doesn't stay in place. His are 5 1/8 " lights. For 1 1/2' deep boxes, I usually layer two 3/4" composite trim blocks and cut out a 4" hole which hides the round box. But this customer has used 2" deep boxes with conduit on two sides. I don't really want to layer 3 pieces. Thought about cutting a 6" round composite one layer and placing it between the light and box. But black would be better to match the lights. Ideas ? Thanks !

James L

Occupation
Electrician
You planning on making a 6" donut, with a 3-1/2" hole in the middle?

Is there a ceiling, or beams, or is it joists under a deck? What's above?

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
The gaskets are falling apart and showing. (Because there is nothing to hold them in place.). (That void.) The customer wants me to do something different than the original electrician did.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
And he says it gets some ‘water spray’ It’s outdoors. It’s in or on his horse barn. I’m trying to get everything I need for one trip. It’s an hour drive. He’s has couple of other items for me to do. Thanks for your ideas.

Buck Parrish

WAIT ! Around the 40 second mark he said that box would hold a 150LB light fixture. Because their is know way I'm sitting under it with that much weight.
Just wouldn't be prudent, not going to do it.
UL , Where are you ?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
These look like they might work for your application but you'd have to replace the existing box or add this one next to it:
Yes and no. Yes, it will work. No, he won't need a second box.

The video says the rain collar is optional, which means it's available separately.

It looks like it will work with the OP's existing box perfectly.

Added: Watched more; later he says "included" so he might mean its use is optional.

I'm sure it's still worth buying it with the box if you must.

Last edited:

MTW

Fabricate a mounting plate to fit. Get a 1/8: thick plate of aluminum, Cut it to be slightly larger than the base of his fixtures. Punch a 7/8" hole in it, and install a chase nipple in the hole. Drill and tap the plate to match the fixture mounting pattern, and holes for the box mount. Paint to match if desired.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Yes and no. Yes, it will work. No, he won't need a second box.

The video says the rain collar is optional, which means it's available separately.

It looks like it will work with the OP's existing box perfectly.
At first I was thinking the same thing, but the video says "the included rain collar" at 2:13:
And so "optional" might just mean that you can use the included rain collar or not, instead of it being available separately.
But I agree that it would be worth checking whether you can get the collar by itself. Or maybe just get the complete box setup, use the included collar, and save the box itself for sometime later. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Copy cat! 🐱
Added: Watched more; later he says "included" so he might mean its use is optional.

I'm sure it's still worth buying it with the box if you must.

At first I was thinking the same thing, but the video says "the included rain collar" at 2:13:
And so "optional" might just mean that you can use the included rain collar or not, instead of it being available separately.
But I agree that it would be worth checking whether you can get the collar by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.