Mounting of Electrical Panels on concrete walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duuuuug

Where in the code does it talk about mounting electrical panels on concrete walls?
Is an air gap required between the back of the enclosure and the wall or can you bolt it straight to the wall?

ryan_618

Re: Mounting of Electrical Panels on concrete walls

312.2(A) requires the gap if it is in a wet location.

Edit: damp or wet

[ September 20, 2005, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

bphgravity

Most if not all equipment listed for use in damp or wet locations have a built-in or manufactured-in 1/4" airspace. The mounting holes or brackets extend out from the main body of the enclosure.

Duuuuug

Thank you,
Like the mounting ears that are welded to the back of some of the Hoffman enclosures create this required gap.

pierre

Sometimes the casual reader of the NEC(Casual Reader: one who does not read the NEC at least 100 hours a week :D ), has trouble locating info as they do not know where to look.

I think this question is a good example.
When we think of buying a "panel", some do not realize the "panel" is really covered in at least 2 different Articles.
1. for the enclosure that houses the panelboard, Art 312.
2. for the panelboard (guts) itself, Art 408.

Once I actually started to understand this (20 years later ;)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I like: "I'm built for comfort, not for speed."

Patricia (my better third) likes, from Mother, Jugs, and Speed:

"They don't call me Speed for nothing!"

"I hope they don't call you Speed for everything!"

jwelectric

My wife says sometimes slow is good. :eek:

Just last night we were talking, it was about 11:30 PM and we had just gone to bed. After a few minutes of discussion she told me how grateful she was that I had been so slow in preparing dinner as it allowed her to sleep a hour longer during her afternoon nap. :D

My referral to your catching on to the use of the code in twenty years was really meant as a good old, That-a-boy for a job well done as I have been working on trying to understand the NEC going on forty years now. :cool:

jimwalker

Something i see often is panels and meters mounted on block walls outside and then stuco gets put on the wall.Up till now never gave it much thaught but that defeats the spaceing.Perhaps thats why we so many rusting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.