Mounting Outdoor Equipment on Bare Block Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Are there any jurisdictions out threre that are requiring outdoor equipment to be installed on walls that are "pre-finished" rather than mounting directly to the raw block?

The 2004 FBC requires significant protection of moisture entry on raw walls. Most installations of meter enclosures, disconnects, ect.. are made before any treatment is made to the block walls. And considering 312.2(A), this leaves a mandated 1/4" airspace behind electrical equipment that is raw block.

Should we consider caulking or other sealing means? Does the stucco or other finishing surfaces provide the needed barrier for water entry? Or, should we start requiring the block to be pre-treated?

Rich R

Re: Mounting Outdoor Equipment on Bare Block Walls

Here in Broward and Palm Beach County, FL. Inspectors require the stucco to be applied to the block before mounting any equipment.

New construction we just get the stucco guys to put some on a 4' x 4' area where service will go. For service changes I just put it on myself.

Usually on the service changes, the old service was mounted directly on the bare block and we have to make that area flush with the rest of the stucco

bphgravity

Thanks Rich. This is what we are hearing from other jurisdictions. There mere mention of this to the builders and contractors in my city would create an uproar. I'm just not sure how far to pursue this if at all.

sheldon_ace

In my area, a vast majority of houses are plywood exterior with a stapled vapor barrier. I just mount the meter can on 1 1/2" unistrut if the siding block has not been provided (usually home owners have not decided on color, and I can't wait for them). When siding (either vinyl or hardy) goes on, I take the unistrut off and slide the block behind and screw to the house. I also caulk around back of can for extra insurance.

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.