mounting straps for light fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdpolan

Ok so may be this seems trivial, but how many electricians have discovered that those "round mounting straps" enclosed (and UL listed) with so many different manufactured light fixtures do not fit the standard 4' round metal or plastic outlet box. Additionally these round straps don't fit a 2 x 4 device box either(wall mounting). It seems the only box they do fit is a 3 1/2" round box! And lets face it as a professional electrician I use how many of those in a year? Maybe 2! Specifically when you thread in the studs that extend thru the fixture the studs interfere with the outlet box behind it so that the studs can't be set to the correct length.

SO LETS HEAR IT! What gives with these horrible things???

Last edited:

peter

There should be a rule which would force manufacturers to actually install a sample of the stuff they create in actual field conditions.

Today's loser is WireMold. They have 2 3/4" inches of #12 wires sticking out of the end of each pre-wired strip. The volume is 3/4" by 1 1/8" [by 2 3/4"]. How many yellow wire nuts can you fit into this space?

Why do they deliberately hone razor sharp edges on mud rings?

Perhaps they have never stood on top of a 20' extension ladder and tried to install one of their 60 pound light fixtures with one hand?

For that matter, why can't we have standardized cordless drill batteries? Are the lawyers involved here?

Why why why? There oughta be a law!

~Peter

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
mdpolan said:
It seems the only box they do fit is a 3 1/2" round box! And lets face it as a professional electrician I use how many of those in a year?
I used them almost exclusively in residential, and found those stupid rings hardly worked then, either. :D

peter said:
Today's loser is WireMold.
I hear that - I was cursing wiremold a couple weeks ago. I used their fancy stab connectors, since I couldn't see how to make three wirenuts fit.

I also noticed they specifically state that their stab connectors are not for EGCs, I thought that was a little weird. So, two fancy wiremold-brand stab connectors and a yellow wirenut is what I used. :roll:

Why do they deliberately hone razor sharp edges on mud rings?
No kidding! :mad:

mdshunk

infinity said:
Do they actually make a 3.5" round box?
No, they're 3-1/4" round. You use a 3-3/8" hole saw for them. Nowadays, you'd mostly only see 3-1/4" pancake boxes. Not so many octagon boxes. I keep a couple of the 3-1/4" blanks on the truck. I often run into old 3-1/4" octagon boxes without covers, for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.