Mounting Type 2 SPD In Panelboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickVisco

New User
Occupation
Technician
Hello,
I am looking for whole house SPD. My 100 amp recessed panelboard, surrounded by concrete on all four sides is full of quad breakers and has no room to add a surge protective CB. I have a Eaton whole house Type 2 SPD I would like to install. This normally is mounted on a 1/2" knockout on the exterior of the panel. I would save myself a lot of concrete cutting if I could mount the SPD in the panelboard. I remember reading in the NEC that no devices could be mounted in the panelboard, panelboard can not be used as a raceway and no splices can exist. Does anyone know of an exception to this? Can I mount this device in the panelboard?
Thanks -

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I remember reading in the NEC that no devices could be mounted in the panelboard, panelboard can not be used as a raceway and no splices can exist.

I would suggest you read more closely. The problem with diyers is they often get advice from other people who don't know. And they don't know the extent of what they don't know so they cannot ask all the questions that need answering.

One question I would ask is can I put a type 2 spd in my panelboard at all? Or does it need to be a type 1.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
There are type II SPDs that plug directly onto the bus of a panelboard (e.g. Eaton CHSA), so obviously SPDs can be installed in a panel. Whether they can lie in a gutter is a different question, but maybe. Won't be able to see the lights though, so won't know when it is used up. Plug on may not help OP, as it sounds like that panel is already full.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Eaton sells some panels with the surge protection mounted inside of the panel from the factory.

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.