Mouse chewing wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan

I have a house where the mice have chewed some of the wires. Does anyone know of a way to check the individual circuits to assess the damage. I would think AFCI's would pick up arching but this house was wired pre-AFCI and most of the circuits are fed with 12/3 off of 2 pole breakers. Thanks

iMuse97

I have a house where the mice have chewed some of the wires. Does anyone know of a way to check the individual circuits to assess the damage. I would think AFCI's would pick up arching but this house was wired pre-AFCI and most of the circuits are fed with 12/3 off of 2 pole breakers. Thanks

1. Disconnect all loads and Xfrms and check continuity EGC to both grounded and ungrounded conductors and between grounded and ungrounded.

2. Megger it.

Buck Parrish

What Carl said. I'll add FWIW. After you have made your repairs, replace wires m etc... Paint some liquid tape in that location. It's to sticky and smells bad. Mice won't tuch it.

George B.

Mice & Electricity

Mice & Electricity

It just so happens that one of my buddies called me a couple weeks ago when it was kinda warm. He said his AC wasn't working. I told him that I'll come to see what is wrong. It turns up some mice did some major chewing of all the control & power wiring in the outside condenser unit. Needless to say they were well cooked with wires still in mouth. I told him to call someone who will pry their fried little corpses off & fix it. I also told him that the unit should be above ground and not under 12" of mulch. Darn Mice

pfalcon

... I told him to call someone who will pry their fried little corpses off & fix it. ... Darn Mice

Sounds like I need to call PETA and have y'all straightened out. Did you post electrical warning signs in their ethnic language or were you just trying to commit mouse genecide? Remember, mice aren't people so we have an obligation to protect them. You and the HO need to set up a mouse training program to teach them about electrical hazards. It's the least you can do!

Ebow

I pulled this out of an attic this week. Only wire in the entire house it ate like this. I figured it was because this was a newer wire laying on top of the inulation instead of in it or under it. And we all know how this newer wire has such a nice smell to it.

Gene

Remember - Speed Kills and its not always you.

iMuse97

It just so happens that one of my buddies called me a couple weeks ago when it was kinda warm. He said his AC wasn't working. I told him that I'll come to see what is wrong. It turns up some mice did some major chewing of all the control & power wiring in the outside condenser unit. Needless to say they were well cooked with wires still in mouth. I told him to call someone who will pry their fried little corpses off & fix it. I also told him that the unit should be above ground and not under 12" of mulch. Darn Mice

And inground A/C unit?!! Cool. I frequent this forum to learn, and that is a new one on me.

TOOL_5150

I pulled this out of an attic this week. Only wire in the entire house it ate like this. I figured it was because this was a newer wire laying on top of the inulation instead of in it or under it. And we all know how this newer wire has such a nice smell to it.

Gene

Remember - Speed Kills and its not always you.

Not to mention of you pull that crappy simpull against a basketball it will tear the sheath off. I miss the older romex with the tough sheath.

~Matt

wptski

Are you trying to find a circuit where mice have chewed the insulation off behind walls? Unless the conductors are touching one in another or ground or almost touching within a thousand or two, not even a megger will find any of them.

You'd probably want to use 500V. Anybody with a megger, see how close your test leads need to be for 500V to arc across the gap or even 1000V.

Status
Not open for further replies.